- Curricular Affairs
- Curricular Affairs Home
- MD Degree Program Competencies
- OASIS Course Catalog
- OASIS Public Calendar
- Visiting Students
- Urban/Underserved MD/MPH Program
- Curricular Affairs Staff
- Curriculum Schematics
- Academic Calendar 2015-2016
- Educational Coordinators - All Departments
- Year One Welcome
- Year Two Welcome
- Year Three Information: Required Clerkships
- Year Four Requirements and Electives for Years Three and Four
- Student Professional Conduct Council
- Welcome to Academic Policies
- School of Medicine Simulation Lab
- Clinical Skills Center
Year One Welcome
Welcome to Year 1 of the MD Degree Program at Saint Louis University School of Medicine. The curriculum is structured in four phases: 1 Foundations, 2 Core Knowledge, 3 Core Clinical, and 4 Pre-Residency.
Coursework in the new Foundations phase of your training is designed to provide you with the fundamentals of biomedical sciences necessary for medical practice.
The Foundations phase includes the following courses:
• A-100 Introduction to Clinical Anatomy
• APCS-100 Applied Clinical Skills 1
• CMB-100 Cell and Molecular Biology
• EPI-100 Epidemiology and Biostatistics
• HIR-100 Health Information Resources
• MIM-100 Introduction to Medical Information Management
• MHR-100 Microbes and Host Responses
• PATH-100 Introduction to Pathology
• PHAR-100 Principles of Pharmacology
While still in Year 1, you will begin the Core Knowledge phase of the curriculum. This phase introduces you to the organ systems, and begins your clinical skills training.
• APCS-201 Applied Clinical Skills 2
• BD-201 Bedside Diagnosis
• BHM-200 Behavioral Health and Medicine
• HEM-200 Hematology
• NSCI-201 Basic Clinical Neurosciences
In addition to these courses, you will have the opportunity to explore your specific interests through two electives of your choosing. These electives, which run throughout most of the academic year, are very diverse and could include exposure to basic science research, clinical research, shadowing physicians, or other activities.
All the best and again, welcome!
Gregory S. Smith, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean, Student Affairs
Director, Phase 1
Director, First and Second Year Electives
Cindy Fairchild, Phase 1 Coordinator
Office of Curricular Affairs, LRC 101