- 1.0 Organization
- 1.1 Numbering of Policy & Procedure Memoranda
- 1.2 Purpose of Manual
- 1.311 Admissions Committee
- 1.312 Student Progress & Program Planning Committee
- 1.314 Committee on Faculty Affairs
- 1.315 Executive Committee
- 1.316 Credentials Committee
- 1.317 Academic/Sabbatical Leave Committee
- 1.318 Dean's Planning Advisory Committee
- 1.319 Graduate Medical Education Committee
- 1.320 Research Planning Committee
- 1.321 Curriculum Management Committee
- 1.322 Curriculum Oversight Committee
- 1.323 Continuing Medical Education Committee
- 1.324 Graduate Program Advisory Council
- 1.325 Research Space Review Committee
1.324 Graduate Program Advisory Council
|CHAPTER||Committees - School of Medicine||Date Issued Date Revised|
|SUBJECT||Graduate Programs Advisory Council (GPAC)||12/01/10 05/01/13|
The School of Medicine shall establish an advisory group to serve in an advisory capacity to the Dean with regard to the non-professional graduate programs in the School of Medicine.
The Advisory Council will review and make recommendations for the development, improvement and quality control of graduate studies in the School of Medicine.
- The Advisory Council is chaired by the Dean. Five voting members of the faculty are appointed by the Dean, with the recommendations of the Committee on Faculty Affairs, representing the departments of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, the Center for Anatomical Science and Education, Molecular Microbiology and Immunology, Pathology and Pharmacological and Physiological Science. Two graduate students shall also be appointed as voting members. Ex-officio members shall include the Chair or Director of each of the above departments in addition to the Director of the Core Graduate Program in Biomedical Science and a representative of the Graduate Academic Affairs Committee. Faculty members are appointed for three-year terms in such a way that at least one new member will be appointed each year. Members may be appointed for a second consecutive term. Students are appointed for a one-year term but may be reappointed for up to three one-year terms.
- The Advisory Council reviews the merit of proposals for new non-professional graduate programs, assesses program quality, reviews substantive program changes and reviews policy changes related to programs. The Advisory Council also considers appeals of graduate student dismissals and reviews any claims of potential violations or ethical standards for academic or research behavior.
- The Advisory Council meets quarterly from September to May at the discretion of the Dean. Special meetings may be called by the Chair, the Dean or by written petition to the the Chair signed by three regular voting members. A quorum shall consist of a simple majority of regular voting members. Items that are recommended by the Advisory Council will be submitted to the Dean for disposition.
- Minutes shall be maintained.
- Review Date
Reviewed annually and revised when necessary and appropriate.
Approved: Philip O. Alderson, M.D., Dean, School of Medicine
Graduate Programs Advisory Council (2015-2016)
Philip O. Alderson, M.D., Dean
|Ryan M. Teague, Ph.D., Chair
||Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
|John Martin, Ph.D., Secretary
||Center for Anatomical Science and Education
|Angel Baldan, Ph.D.
||Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
|Jane A. Cox, Ph.D.
||Pharmacology and Physiology
|Susan A. Crawford, D.O.
|Adam Gehring, Ph.D.
||Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
|Craig W. Smith, Ph.D.
||Family and Community Medicine
||Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
* Indicates reappointment for additional term.
Thomas P. Burris, Ph.D., Chair
Department of Pharmacology and Physiology
Enrico Di Cera, M.D., Chair
Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Willis Kendrick Samson, Ph.D.
Director of Graduate Programs
F. David Schneider, M.D., Chair
Department of Family and Community Medicine
Carole Vogler, M.D., Chair
Department of Pathology
William S.M. Wold, Ph.D., Chair
Department of Molecular Microbiology and Immunology
Ad hoc Member
Richard J. DiPaolo, Ph.D.
Molecular Microbiology & Immunology
SOM GAAC representative