- 4.0 Risk Management
4.2 Extension of the Health Professional Letter of Indemnity
|SECTION||Risk Management||NO. 4.2|
|CHAPTER||Extension of the Health Professional Letter of Indemnity||DATE ISSUED
Professional liability coverage may be extended for work or activities which are not part of usual and customary healthcare duties performed by School of Medicine faculty, residents, fellows, and students.
To insure that all faculty, residents, and fellows are aware of the coverage, limitations, requirements, and procedures for reporting incidents and obtaining approval for extension of coverage of the Letter of Indemnity.
- Extension of coverage beyond usual and customary duties may be granted. Such authorization must be obtained in advance upon the recommendation of the appropriate division chief and department chairperson to the Dean. The Dean is the authorized signatory of the extension of professional liability. The request is made by the chairperson to the office of the Associate Dean, Graduate Medical Education and VA Affairs, who reviews specifics and prepares recommendation for the Dean's review.
- Copies of the signed letter of extension are sent by the Dean to:
- Risk Management (Medical Center Office)
- Personnel File in Dean's Office
- Chairperson of the Department Involved
- The Involved Faculty Member, Resident, Fellow or Staff
Health Professional Letter of Indemnity, as updated annually
- Review Date
Reviewed annually and revised when necessary and appropriate.
Approved: Philip O. Alderson, M.D., Dean, School of Medicine