- Division of Research
Joanne Salas, MPH
Campus Contact Information
Master of Public Health, Biostatistics
Saint Louis University
Dual Degree: Bachelor of Arts, Chemistry; Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Saint Louis University
10+ years of research and analytic experience. Expertise in a variety of parametric and nonparametric analytical techniques, including but not limited to generalized linear models, path analysis, complex survey design analysis, multilevel modeling, and reliability/validity analysis. Experience with the management/analysis of insurance and medical records data as well as national level survey data. Possess statistical programming experience in SAS, SPSS, and STATA. Other capabilities include mentoring masters level epidemiology/biostatistics students for capstone projects as well as online survey development. Research interests focus on epidemiological investigations of maternal, child, and family health topics; lifecourse perspectives on trauma, violence and psychiatric comorbidities; and substance abuse and suicide prevention for adolescents and college students.
Other interests include sports (hockey, soccer, softball, cycling); the great outdoors (camping, hiking); health and fitness (part-time Crossfit Level 1 Trainer); and lounging with Dante, the greatest rat terrier alive.
Salas Peer-reviewed Publications
- Morris, D.S., Tenkku, L.E., Salas, J., Xaverius P.K., & Mengel, MB. (2008). Exploring pregnancy-related changes in alcohol consumption between black and white women. Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, 32(3), 505-512.
- Tenkku, L.E., Morris, D.S., Salas, J., & Xaverius, P.K. (2009). Racial disparities in pregnancy-related drinking reduction. Maternal and Child Health Journal, 13(5), 604-613. Originally published online 9 Sep 2008 DOI: 10.1007/s10995-008-0409-2.
- Xaverius, P.K., Tenkku, L.E., Salas, J., & Morris, D.S. (2009). Exploring health by reproductive status: An epidemiological analysis of preconception health. Journal of Women’s Health, 18(1), 49-56.
- Xaverius, P.K., Tenkku, L.E., & Salas, J. (2009). Differences between women at higher and lower risk for an unintended pregnancy. Women’s Health Issues, 19, 306-312.
- Tenkku, L.E., Mengel, M.B., Nicholson, R.A., Hile, M.G., Morris, D., & Salas, J. (2011) A web-based intervention to reduce alcohol-exposed pregnancies in the community. Health Education & Behavior, 38(6), 563-573. Originally published online 6 Apr 2011 DOI: 10.1177/1090198110385773.
- Xaverius, P.K., Salas, J., & Tenkku, L.E. (2012). Preconception wellness: Differences in health by immigrant status. Journal of Immigrant and Minority Health, 14(2), 216-222. Originally published online 16 Dec 2010 DOI: 10.1007/s10903- 010-9424-7.
- Salas, J., Xaverius, P.K., & Chang, J.J. (2012). Does a medical home influence the effect of low birth weight on health outcomes [Invited article]? Maternal and Child Health Journal, 16(S1), S143-S150. Originally published online 25 Mar 2012 DOI: 10.1007/s10995-012-1003-1. *Also featured in June 3, 2013 edition of Psychology Progress (http://psychologyprogress.com/does-a-medical-home-influence-the-effect-of- low-birthweight-on-health-outcomes/)
- Chang, J.J., Salas, J., Habicht, K., Pien, G.W., Stamatakis, K.A., & Brownson, R.C. (2012). The association of sleep duration and depressive symptoms in rural communities of Missouri, Tennessee, and Arkansas. Journal of Rural Health, 28(3), 268-276. Originally published online 21 Oct 2011 DOI: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2011.00398.x.
- Xaverius, P.K., Salas, J., & Kiel, D. (2013). Differences in pregnancy planning between women aged 18-44, with and without diabetes: Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System analysis. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 99(1), 63-68. Originally published online 2 Nov 2012 DOI: 10.1016/j.diabres.2012.09.029.
- Xaverius, P.K. & Salas, J. (2013). Surveillance of preconception health indicators in behavioral risk factor surveillance system: Emerging trends in the 21st century. Journal of Women’s Health, 22(3), 203-209. Originally published online 21 Feb 2013 DOI: 10.1089/jwh.2012.3804.
- Pollard, C.A., Margolis, R.B., Niemiec, R., Salas, J., & Aatre, G. (2013). Psychometric properties of the Primary Care Behavioral Health Screen. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 20(3), 302-310. Originally published online 17 May 2013 DOI: 10.1007/s10880-012-9355-7