Jiajing Chen, PhD, MPH
Dr. Chen has extensive experiences in big data. She is an outstanding data scientist with skills in computer programming, scientific research and statistical analysis. Dr. Chen is the leader of managing several large national databases, including private health insurance claims data, Medicare data, Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) data, and Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients (SRTR) data.
The overarching goal of Dr. Chen’s current research is to expand the understanding of safety profiles of antidiabetic agents, improve available evidence used by the FDA for diabetes drug regulation, and help physicians identify the best treatment options. Her primary research interests include pharmacoepidemiology and pharmacoeconomics, particularly related to adverse cardiovascular, pancreatic, and cancer events associated with diabetes polytherapy using national administrative databases. Dr. Chen is also actively involved in research of clinical and economic outcomes of organ transplants, and the impacts of organ recipients’ comorbidities and treatments prior to transplants.
In addition to research, Dr. Chen is an integral member of the SLUCOR consulting practice. She provides analytic support for many grants and research projects for clients in academia, industry, government, and non-profit organizations. Through her consulting engagements, she has analyzed hundreds of datasets ranging in size and complexity from publicly available datasets to large administrative databases such as the private insurance claims databases (with 10+ million unique patients). Before joining SLUCOR, Dr. Chen worked as a statistical consultant at Washington University School of Medicine assisting with various clinical studies in cardiology, pediatrics, orthopedics, and gastroenterology.
- Ph.D. Saint Louis University (Health Services/Outcomes Research)
- M.P.H. Saint Louis University (Biostatistics and Epidemiology)
- B.S. Saint Louis University (Investigative and Medical Sciences)
- Medical Training at Jiangsu University School of Medicine (Medicine)
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Diabetes Polytherapy
- Economic Evaluation
- Health Administrative Claims Data
- Statistical Programming
- Study Design
- Database Management
ACTIVE RESEARCH INTERESTS
- Big Data Analytic Tools
- Antidiabetic Agents and Devices
- Diabetes Outcomes
- Abdominal Transplant Outcomes
- ORES 501 Introduction to Biostatistics for Health Outcomes Research
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS and MEMBERSHIPS
- International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR)
Find me on ResearchGate
- Lentine K, Naik AS, Schnitzler MA, Axelrod D, Chen J, Brennan DC, Segev DL, Kasiske BL, Randall H, Dharnidharka VR. Variation in comedication use according to kidney transplant immunosuppressive regimens: Application of integrated registry and pharmacy claims data. Transplantation Proceedings. Article in Press.
- Naik A, Dharnidharka VR, Schnitzler MA, Brennan DC, Segev DL, Axelrod D, Xiao H, Kucirka L, Chen J, Lentine K. Clinical and economic consequences of first-year urinary tract infections, sepsis and pneumonia in contemporary kidney transplantation practice. Transplant International 2016:29(2):241-252.
- Yang JS, Keener JD, Yamaquchi K, Chen J, Stobbs-Cucchi G, Patton R, Galatz LM. Reliability of patient self-assessment of shoulder range of motion and strength after shoulder arthroplasty. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2015;24(1):1-10.
- Silva JN, VON Bergen NH, Dubin AM, Collins KK, Chen J, Bowman TM, VAN Hare GF. Assessment of intrathoracic impedance algorithm in the pediatric and adult congenital population. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2014;37(9):1174-1180.
- Barrack RL, Ruh EL, Chen J, Lombardi AV Jr, Berend KR, Parvizi J, Della Valle CJ, Hamilton WG, Nunley RM. Impact of socioeconomic factors on outcome of total knee arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2014;472(1):86-97.
- Bardakcioglu O, Khan A, Aldridge C, Chen J. Growth of laparoscopic colectomy in the United States: Analysis of regional and socioeconomic factors over time. Annals of Surgery 2013;258(2):270-274.
- Feman SS, Chen J, Burroughs TE. Diabetic Pan-Retinal Photocoagulation Incidence Change. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 2012;43(4):270-274.
- James DG, Seo DH, Chen J, Vemulapalli C, Stone CD. Efalizumab, a human monoclonal anti-CD11a antibody, in the treatment of moderate to severe Crohn’s disease: An open-label pilot study. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2011;56(6):1806-1810.
- Ha C, Magowan SH, Accortt N, Chen J, Stone CD. Risk of arterial thrombotic events in inflammatory bowel disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2009;104(6):1445-1451.
- Ha CY, Shah R, Chen J, Azar RR, Edmundowicz SA, Early DS. Diagnosis and management of gastrointestinal stromal tumors using EUS-FNA: A survey of opinions and practices of endosonographers. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2009;69(6):1039-1044.
- Keswani RN, Early DS, Edmundowicz SA, Meyers BF, Sharma A, Govindan R, Chen J, Kohlmeier C, Azar RR. Routine positron emission tomography does not alter nodal staging in patients undergoing EUS-guided FNA for esophageal cancer. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2009;69(7):1210-1217.
- Chen J, Stone CD. Letter to the Editor: Specifying the risk of arterial thrombosis in inflammatory bowel disease. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology 2008;6(9):1061-1062.
- Unkart JT, Anderson L, Li E, Miller C, Yan Y, Gu C, Chen J, Stone CD, Hunt S, Dietz DW. Risk factors for surgical recurrence after ileocolic resection of Crohn’s disease. Disease of The Colon & Rectum 2008;51(8):1211-1216.
- Nazzal MD, Chen J, Lentine KL, Schnitzler M, Tuttle-Newhall JB, Varma C, Taha A, Said A, Xiao H, Randall H. Pre-transplant loco-regional therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma and post-transplant outcomes: A national study. American Transplant Congress 2016.
- Feman SS, Chen J, Burroughs TE. Diabetic Pan-Retinal Photocoagulation Incidence Change. Oral Abstract Presentation, Macula Society Meeting 2012.
- Stone CD, Chen J, Armbrecht ES. Utility of annual testing for tuberculosis infection during treatment with anti-tumor necrosis factor alpha medications. Oral Abstract Presentation, DDW 2012.
- aStone CD, Chen J, Williams MD, Gordon GL, Burroughs TE. Prevalence and risk of avascular necrosis in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2011;140 (5): Suppl 1, Page S-66. Oral Abstract Presentation, DDW 2011.
- Gorbe EB, Chen J, Reimers MA, Kpadeh Z, Miller C, Li E, Hunt SR, Stone CD. NOD2 risk alleles combined with habitual cigarette smoking accelerate the time to second ileocolic resection in Crohn’s disease. Gastroenterology 2009;136(5):A207.
- Ha C, Magowan SH, Accortt N, Chen J, Stone CD. Increased risk of arterial thrombotic events in inflammatory bowel disease. Gastroenterology 2008;134(4):A502.
- Stone CD, Chen J, Unkart JT, Gorbe E, McCullough CK, Hunt SR, Miller CR, Bowcock AM, Li E, Dietz DW. Serology testing, genotype, and other risk factors for repeat ileocolic resection in Crohn’s disease: A time-to-event analysis. Gastroenterology 2008;134(4):A637-638.