Paul J. Hauptman, MD
B.S. Columbia University
Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital
Fellowship in Cardiology, Mount Sinai Hospital
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Heart failure
Paul J. Hauptman, MD
Dr. Hauptman was graduated from Cornell University Medical College, completed an internship and residency in internal medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital (Boston) and cardiology fellowships at Mount Sinai Hospital (NY) and Brigham and Women's Hospital / Harvard Medical School, where he subsequently served on faculty (1993-1998). He is currently a Professor of Internal Medicine at Saint Louis University School of Medicine where has a secondary appointment as Professor, Health Management and Policy, School of Public Health. He is board certified in cardiovascular diseases; chairs the Quality of Care Committee of the Heart Failure Society of America; is an associate editor of the European Journal of Heart Failure; and serves on the editorial boards of a number of prominent cardiology journals. He has received funding from the National Institute on Aging and served as a reviewer for the NHLBI and as a panel member of the Circulatory System Devices Panel of the Food and Drug Administration. His research interests are focused on delineating patterns of care and decision-making in end-stage heart failure.
Selected Publications or Presentations
(refer to PubMed.gov for a listing of more than 80 peer-reviewed articles and abstracts)
1. Udelson JE, Pressler SJ, Sackner-Bernstein J, Massaro J, Ordronneau P, Lukas MA, Hauptman PJ. (2009) Adherence with once daily versus twice daily carvedilol in patients with heart failure: the Compliance And Quality of Life Study Comparing Once-Daily Controlled- Release Carvedilol CR and Twice-Daily Immediate-Release Carvedilol IR in Patients with Heart Failure (CASPER) Trial. J Card Fail. 15(5):385-93.
2. Hauptman PJ. (2008) All clinical trials are not created equal: The dilemma of HEAAL. Eur J Heart Fail. 10(9):817-8.
3. Swindle J, Burroughs TE, Schnitzler MA, Hauptman PJ. (2008). Short-term mortality and cost associated with cardiac device implantation in patients hospitalized with heart failure. Am Heart J. 156(2):322-8.
4. Hauptman PJ, Swindle J, Burroughs TE, Schnitzler MA. (2008) Resource utilization in patients hospitalized with heart failure: insights from a contemporary national hospital database. Am Heart J. 155(6):978-985.
5. Lentine KL, Schnitzler MA, Brennan DC, Snyder JJ, Hauptman PJ, Abbott KC, Axelrod D, Salvalaggio PR, Kasiske B. (2008) Cardiac evaluation before kidney transplantation: a practice patterns analysis in Medicare-insured dialysis patients.
6. Hussain Z, Swindle J, Hauptman PJ. (2008). Digoxin use and digoxin toxicity in the post-DIG trial era. J Card Fail. 12(5):343-6.
American Heart Association