B.S. Columbia University
Internship and Residency in Internal Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital
Fellowship in Cardiology, Mount Sinai Hospital
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Heart failure
Paul J. Hauptman, MD
Dr. Hauptman is Professor of Internal Medicine and Assistant Dean of Clinical and Translational Research at Saint Louis University School of Medicine. He holds an adjunct position at the College of Public Health, attends as Director of Heart Failure at Saint Louis University Hospital and directs the Clinical Trials Office at the School of Medicine, the central regulatory body for contracting, budgeting and invoicing of clinical trials.
Dr. Hauptman completed internal medicine training at Brigham and Women's Hospital / Harvard Medical School and cardiology fellowships at both Mount Sinai Hospital (New York) and Brigham and Women's. Subsequently he was on faculty at Harvard Medical School and attending physician in the Division of Cardiology at the Brigham (1993-1998). He has received research grants from the American Heart Association and National Institutes of Health, and served as a reviewer for the NHLBI and as a panel member of the Circulatory System Devices Panel of the FDA. In 2016, he was selected as an Inaugural Fellow of the Heart Failure Society of America. After serving as associate editor at the European Journal of Heart Failure and Circulation: Heart Failure, he became editor-in-chief of the Journal of Cardiac Failure in 2015. His research interests have been focused on assessing outcomes in advanced heart failure, physician decision-making and trends in care.
Selected Publications or Presentations
(refer to PubMed.gov for a listing of more than 80 peer-reviewed articles and abstracts)
1. Udelson JE, Pressler SJ, Sackner-Bernstein J, Massaro J, Ordronneau P, Lukas MA, Hauptman PJ. (2009) Adherence with once daily versus twice daily carvedilol in patients with heart failure: the Compliance And Quality of Life Study Comparing Once-Daily Controlled- Release Carvedilol CR and Twice-Daily Immediate-Release Carvedilol IR in Patients with Heart Failure (CASPER) Trial. J Card Fail. 15(5):385-93.
2. Hauptman PJ. (2008) All clinical trials are not created equal: The dilemma of HEAAL. Eur J Heart Fail. 10(9):817-8.
3. Swindle J, Burroughs TE, Schnitzler MA, Hauptman PJ. (2008). Short-term mortality and cost associated with cardiac device implantation in patients hospitalized with heart failure. Am Heart J. 156(2):322-8.
4. Hauptman PJ, Swindle J, Burroughs TE, Schnitzler MA. (2008) Resource utilization in patients hospitalized with heart failure: insights from a contemporary national hospital database. Am Heart J. 155(6):978-985.
5. Lentine KL, Schnitzler MA, Brennan DC, Snyder JJ, Hauptman PJ, Abbott KC, Axelrod D, Salvalaggio PR, Kasiske B. (2008) Cardiac evaluation before kidney transplantation: a practice patterns analysis in Medicare-insured dialysis patients.
6. Hussain Z, Swindle J, Hauptman PJ. (2008). Digoxin use and digoxin toxicity in the post-DIG trial era. J Card Fail. 12(5):343-6.
American Heart Association