Paula M. Buchanan, PhD, MPH
Dr. Buchanan joined SLUCOR in 2005 as a research assistant and became a faculty member in 2009 when she completed her doctorate in Public Health Studies with a concentration in Health Outcomes Research. She has studied the development, progression, treatment and outcomes of chronic and acute illnesses. Much of this work has utilized epidemiological and statistical modeling to examine these relationships in large population-level registries and databases such as those from the VA, Medicare, and national insurance and pharmacy benefit management companies.
Dr. Buchanan is the Operations Manager of SLUCOR’s Consulting Practice. Through the consulting practice she and her team provide methodological and analytic support for many grants and research projects for faculty throughout the School of Medicine, School of Nursing, and College of Health Sciences at Saint Louis University. The support ranges from power and sample size calculations to data analysis and interpretation. Dr. Buchanan has experience with all types for study designs from retrospective to prospective as well as working with sample sizes of 3 subjects to well over a million subjects.
- B.S. & B.A. Truman State University (Mathematics)
- M.P.H. Saint Louis University (Biostatistics & Epidemology)
- Ph.D. Saint Louis University (Public Health Studies Health Outcomes Research)
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
- Administrative claims data
- Data Management
- Research Design
- Analytic Methods
- Paruthi S, Buchanan P, Weng J, Chervin RD, Mitchell PB, Dore-Stites D, Sadhwani A, Katz ES, Bent J, Rosen CL, Redline S, Marcus CL. Effect of adenotonsillectomy on parent-reported sleepiness in children with obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep; In Press.
- Buchanan P, Kramer J, El-Serag H, Asch S, Assioun Y, Bacon B, Kanwal F. The Quality of Care Provided to Patients with Varices. American Journal of Gastroenterology 2014 Jul; 109(7) 934-40.
- Chang JJ, Buchanan P, Geremakis C, Sheikh K, Mitchell RB. Cost Analysis of Tonsillectomy in Children using Medicaid Data. The Journal of Pediatrics. 2014 Jun; 164(6): 1346-1351.
- Buchanan PM, Lentine KL, Burroughs TE, Schnitzler MA, Salvalaggio PR. Liver transplantation cost in the MELD era: Looking beyond the transplant admission. Liver Transplantation Journal. 2009 Oct;15(10):1270-7.
- Buchanan PM, Schnitzler MA, Axelrod D, Salvalaggio PR, Lentine KL. The Clinical and Financial Burden of Early Dialysis After Deceased Donor Kidney Transplantation. Journal of Nephrology & Therapeutics. 2011 S4.
- ORES 5150 Multivariate Analysis for Health Outcomes Research
- ORES 5120 Practical Applications of Statistical Methods
- ORES 5010 Introduction to Statistics for Health Outcomes Research
- ORES 5550 Introduction to SAS Programming