Sarah Moreland-Russell, PhD, MPH
Dr. Moreland-Russell is Associate Director for the for the Center for Tobacco Policy Research at the George Warren Brown School of Social Work at Washington University. Her primary research interests include health policy analysis and evaluation, organizational and systems science and evaluation, and dissemination and implementation of public health policies.
Her work has made contributions to the need for local level policy adoption, strategies for disseminating results for more effective implementation of evidence based policy, and the evaluation of public health programs. She currently serves as Principal investigator on several projects including: (1) the User Guide Project which is a project supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and designed to translate guidelines from the CDC's 2007 Best Practices for Comprehensive Tobacco Control Programs into practices and policies to be implemented at state and local levels; and (2) the Social Innovation for Missouri Project which evaluates the implementation of tobacco and obesity evidence-based strategies in Missouri communities.
Dr. Moreland-Russell also serves as the evaluation lead for Washington University's Institute for Clinical and Translational Science project (ICTS) and the St. Louis County Department of Health's Communities Putting Prevention to Work (CPPW) Initiative project. In addition, she serves as Adjunct Faculty for the Washington University George Warren Brown School of Social Work where she teaches a course in Transdisciplinary Problem Solving and for the Saint Louis University Center for Outcomes Research where she teaches courses on Evaluation Sciences and Data Management.
Selected Publications and Presentation:
1) Moreland-Russell S., Harris J.K., Israel K., Schell S., Mohr A. (in press) Anti-smoking data is exaggerated vs. The data are clear and indisputable: examining Letters to the Editor about Tobacco. Journal of Health Communication
2) Harris JK, Karamehic-Muratovic A, Herbers SH, Moreland-Russell S, Cheskin R, Lindberg K. (2011). Smoking and
3) Harris J.K., Geremakis C., Moreland-Russell S., Kariuki B., Carothers B.J., Shelton S.C., Kuhlenbeck M. (2011) Demographic and geographic differences in workplace secondhand smoke exposure in Missouri, 2007-2008: a case for statewide clean indoor air policy. Preventing Chronic Disease, 8(6).
4) Harris J.K., Shelton S.C., Moreland-Russell S., Luke D.A. 2010. Tobacco coverage in print media: The use of timing and framing by tobacco control supporters and opposition prior to a failed tobacco tax initiative. Tobacco Control, 19(1): 37-43.
5) Moreland, S. Engelman, K. Greiner, AK. Mayo, M. (2006) Papanicolauo testing among Native American and Hispanic populations Ethnicity and Disease. Volume 16.