Thomas E. Burroughs, PhD
My current research has to do with pharmacovigilance and drug safety, particularly with diabetes. I'm using several national administrative databases to examine the relationships between different diabetes medications and rare cardiovascular, pancreatic and hepatic events. I'm also working with my colleagues on collaborative research with organ transplantation and cardiovascular disease. The overarching goal of my current research is to find ways to improve the U.S. drug safety net, and to help identify the best approaches to caring for people with diabetes.
Dr. Burroughs came Saint Louis University in 2003 to develop the Center for Outcomes Research. Prior to this, he was a director at the BJC Center for Healthcare Quality and Effectiveness and a faculty member at Washington University. At BJC, he was the principal architect behind the customer satisfaction measurement system for BJC Health System that assessed patient, employee and physician satisfaction across 13 hospitals, 5 nursing homes, and more than 100 ambulatory care sites. He also directed the development of an online reporting system that provides real-time data to more than 2000 managers on a daily basis. This reporting system, BJCScores, was the winner of the 1999 HIMSS National Quality Management Award.
Selected Publications or Presentations
1. Burroughs, T.E., Swindle, J., Takemoto, S., Lentine, K.L., Machnicki, G., Irish, W.D., Brennan, D.C., Schnitzler, M.A. Diabetic complications associated with new-onset diabetes mellitus in renal transplant recipients. Transplantation. 2007;83(8):1027-1034.
2. Hauptman PJ, Schnitzler MA, Swindle J, Burroughs TE. (2006). Impact of Publications on Clinical Practice. The Case of Nesiritide for Acute Decompensated Heart Failure. JAMA;296(15).
3. Burroughs, T.E., Lentine, K.L., Takemoto S.K., Swindle, J., Machnicki, G., Hardinger, K.A., Brennan, D.C., Schnitzler, M.A. (2007). Influence of early post-transplantation prednisone and calcineurin inhibitor dosages on the incidence of new-onset diabetes. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. January 27, 2007.
4. Hauptman, P.J., Swindle, J., Hussain, Z., Biener, L., Burroughs, T.E. Physician Attitudes toward End- Stage Heart Failure: A National Survey. Am J Medicine (2008) 121, 127-135.
5. Hauptman, P.J., Mikolajczak, P., George, A., Mohr, C.J., Hoover, R., Schnitzler, M.A., Swindle, J., Burroughs, T.E. Chronic continuous home inotropic therapy in end-stage heart failure. Am J Heart. In press 2007.
American Diabetes Association (Board Member)