- Clinical Pastoral Education
About the CPE Program
The Clinical Pastoral Education Center at Saint Louis University Hospital is accredited to offer Level I/Level II and Supervisory Education by the Association for Clinical Pastoral Education, Inc. ACPE [One West Court Square, Suite 325, Decatur, GA 30030] - (404) 320-1472]. ACPE is the only Clinical Pastoral Education provider recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Clinical Pastoral Education program at Saint Louis University Hospital is a member center of the Saint Louis Cluster, ACPE and participates actively in shared programming.
The CPE Learning Process consists of:
- Practice of Ministry in the role of pastoral care giver in a hospital setting.
- Supervised Learning - Students take part in supervised group session and meet individually with a CPE supervisor.
- Group Life - In a diverse peer group, students learn to give and receive critique in a pastorally and culturally sensitive way.
- Recorded Case Studies - Students submit written records of ministry encounters.
A "unit" of CPE consists of a total of 400 hours combining no less than 100 hours of structured group and individual education with supervised clinical practice in ministry. One "half unit" of CPE is at least 240 hours combining no less than 60 hours of structured group and individual education with supervised clinical practice in ministry. For specific objectives and outcomes for Level I/Level II and Supervisory CPE, refer to ACPE Standards Manual.
Saint Louis University Hospital CPE Center offers CPE programs in the form of extended units, summer units, residency year, and supervisory education.