- Faculty & Staff Mission Programs
- Mission Events
- Spiritual Direction
- Mission Programs
- Shared Vision
- Helping Our Own
- Living the Ignatian Spirit
- What is Ignatian Spirituality?
- What is Ignatian Prayer?
- What is Discernment?
- What is Spiritual Direction?
- Growing in the Ignatian Spirit
- Celebrating the Ignatian Spirit
- Saint Louis University Prayerbook
- Prayer Links
What is Spiritual Direction?
Paul Coutinho, SJ, gives centrality to the value and place of "spiritual conversation" in one’s faith life. He offers a definition and explores the goal of spiritual direction: "to open myself …to a deeper insight into who God is and how I find myself in God."
The spiritual director’s role is to help the directee make contact with God and allow God to deal directly with the directee. "The danger of Ignatian spirituality," he said, is "when you are in the hands of God, God will take you to the desert, beyond sacred boundaries and toward new horizons."