It's often difficult to ask for help, but occasionally a crisis arises that leaves
us facing a financial emergency, requiring assistance beyond our own resources, and
no other choice.
Helping Our Own, funded by employees of Saint Louis University to benefit employees
of Saint Louis University, was created to offer that assistance. This program provides
a one-time monetary gift to any full-time or part-time permanent SLU employee experiencing
a valid financial crisis. Eligibility for assistance requires at least one year of
employment with the University.
Helping Our Own exemplifies the University mission in action — as we continue to build
a community concerned for one another and committed to serving those in need.
If you are in need of assistance, contact Cathy Zimmer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jill Jones at email@example.com.
How to Apply
Employees make their requests in writing, to be reviewed confidentially by a committee
of employees. An employee is asked to submit:
- letter explaining their need and the circumstances that have led them to ask for assistance
- recent paycheck stub
- copy of the bill for which assistance is needed
- phone number where the employee can be reached, since additional information may be
How to Donate
You can donate one of two ways:
- Donate or pledge online using the SLU secure online giving form at giftform.slu.edu. Online gifts may be one-time gifts or recurring gifts, with payment options of credit
cards, checking or savings account transfers, or payroll deduction. Remember to select
Helping Our Own as the gift designation on the form.
- Complete and return the payroll deduction form. Your current or new payroll deduction
can be made without renewal. Mark on the online form the "Perpetual Payroll Deduction"
box and eliminate the need to renew your gift annually. Your perpetual donation can
be changed at any time. Also, it is important that you indicate whether you are paid
monthly or bi-weekly.