June 10, 2014
Lauren Brucker
314-977-3077

SLU Alumnus Appointed Ambassador to Ireland

Kevin O'Malley
Kevin O'Malley

President Barack Obama appointed Saint Louis University alumnus Kevin F. O'Malley (A&S '70, Law '73) as the next ambassador to Ireland on June 5.

O'Malley taught trial advocacy as an adjunct professor at the School of Law from 1979-1985. He is currently an officer at the law firm Greensfelder, Hemker and Gale, P.C. in St. Louis.

The School of Law's Dean Michael Wolff, J.D., has known O'Malley for more than 35 years. They co-authored Federal Jury Practice and Instructions, where Wolff recruited him to write the criminal instructions.

"It's really fun and wonderful to see a friend, someone who is 'one of us,' receive such a meritorious honor," said Wolff. "He's been a good citizen, a good teacher and a terrific lawyer. I'm more than confident that he will take his spirit and affability across the ocean and successfully represent the United States."

After graduating from SLU with his J.D., O'Malley worked for the Justice Department for six years before returning to St. Louis as an assistant U.S. attorney in 1979. He entered private practice in 1983 and has since focused his work on litigation with an emphasis on medical negligence, federal white-collar criminal defense and product liability defense. In 2009, Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon appointed him as the only non-physician member of the Missouri Board of Healing Arts, the licensing and disciplinary body for physicians.

O'Malley has had a long and prosperous career and is well-respected within the legal community. The Lawyers Association of St. Louis presented him with the Award of Honor for his professional and public service in 2013. He also serves as vice president of the Theodore McMillian American Inns of Court, which mentors young trial lawyers, including School of Law students.

Pending confirmation by the U.S. Senate, O'Malley will become the 31st U.S. ambassador to Ireland, succeeding Dan Rooney who resigned from the post in December 2012. The position was first created in 1927.

© 1818 - 2015  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer   |  Mobile Site
St. Louis   |   Madrid