School of Law Partners with Businesses to Create 'SLU Zone'
The partnership with downtown businesses will offer discounts to students, faculty and staff.
With its move to downtown St. Louis in full swing, Saint Louis University's School of Law announces the SLU Zone, a new partnership with area businesses. The new program will work to create a community for law students, faculty and staff, and encourage their patronage of downtown St. Louis businesses by offering monthly promotions.
"Our move to our new downtown location is an investment by the University in the future of downtown St. Louis," said Michael Wolff, dean of the School of Law. "We want to ensure our students, faculty and staff are encouraged to be part of this already vibrant community."
The SLU Zone comprises a group of businesses who have agreed to participate in Third Thursday promotional events every month. The type of promotion or discount will vary from business to business and will be accessible to SLU School of Law students, faculty and staff. All members of the SLU Zone will have the opportunity to display a SLU School of Law sticker in their window, demonstrating their involvement in the program.
Another element to the SLU Zone partnership is the Billiken Bucks program, already utilized at businesses surrounding SLU’s Midtown campus. Billiken Bucks give members of the SLU community the ability to use their University ID card as a form of payment for dining and retail experiences. The Billiken Bucks program is a special promotion within the SLU Zone partnership, and, therefore, not all businesses in the SLU Zone will offer the use of Billiken Bucks.
"Many of our students are choosing to live downtown as a result of our move," said Shannon Morse, assistant dean of student activities and leadership. "The SLU Zone was created to give them a sense of community in our new home. We are working with all types of downtown businesses including restaurants, cafés, coffeehouses and retail stores to provide a strong mix of neighborhood deals."
The following downtown businesses have signed on to be a part of the SLU Zone:
- Alumni St. Louis: A restaurant celebrating the people, places and food that make St. Louis great.
- Bella's Frozen Yogurt Café: A family-friendly and welcoming environment that creates customized, delicious dessert with a variety of flavors and toppings
- Blue Bird the Boutique: Specializing in unique, hard to find and funky apparel, shoes and accessories
- Café Di Organo: Organic, eco-friendly coffee house
- The Docket: Contemporary Mediterranean coming soon to the new School of Law building
- Flying Cow Frozen Yogurt: Local frozen yogurt shop offering 10-12 delicious and healthy flavors
- Gelateria Tavolini: Coffee and gelato shop, lunch café and a great place to study
- Lucas Park Grille: New American cuisine in a casually elegant atmosphere
- Mahogany Bar and Grille: Casual pub fare located in the Omni Majestic Hotel
- ￼￼￼￼￼￼MacroSun: Unique, affordable, authentic gifts, global jewelry, international fashions and exotic home décor. Owned by a School of Law student.
- Planet Sub: Fresh, oven baked sub sandwiches
- Park Avenue Coffee: Family owned and local coffee house
- Rosalita’s Cantina: The one and only Tex-Mex restaurant located on Washington Avenue
- The Pour House: Pub food and drink with a game-themed twist
- The Sidebar: Casual dining and sports bar
- The Smoothie King: The premier smoothie and nutritional lifestyle center
- Sushi Ai: Dine-in and take-out sushi
Businesses that wish to be included in the SLU Zone should contact assistant dean Morse at firstname.lastname@example.org or 314-977-2728.
About Saint Louis University School of Law
Saint Louis University School of Law was founded in 1843 and is the oldest law school west of the Mississippi River. The strength of the faculty, breadth of course offerings and extensive clinical and professional skills experience provide students with a well-rounded legal education. The School of Law’s rich history consists of strong connections to the community and a long tradition of public service. The School of Law location in the heart of the City of St. Louis, offers students unparalleled access to leading law firms, corporations, government agencies and non-profit organizations — and a unique opportunity to see the law in action. For more information, visit law.slu.edu.