In the summer of 2012, the Center for Sustainability launched the Sustainability Research Fund (SRF) to support promising research projects that promote interdisciplinary approaches aimed at discovering integrated solutions to the complex and systemic nature of sustainability-related issues.
SRF research funding was made possible by a generous grant from the Alberici Foundation, which established the Center for Sustainability in 2010. The SRF fund was designed to support local, sustainability-related research in areas such as energy efficiency and alternative energy sources, understanding and mitigating global climate change, and preserving and replenishing natural resources.
The Center for Sustainability received more than a dozen applications and distributed seven awards totaling $307,301. Award recipients and their research projects include:
- Allison Miller, Ph.D. (biology), Sustainable Agriculture in a Changing Climate: A Multidisciplinary Approach to Preservation and Comparative Genomics of Grapevines at the SLU Urban Farm
- Donald Stump, Ph.D. (English), SLU Research and Outreach Greenhouse
- Miriam Cherry, J.D. (law), B Corporations and Sustainable Business
- Cynthia LeRouge, Ph.D. (health management and policy), Technology over Teen Network: Integrating Self‐Management Enabling Technologies into Overweight Adolescent's Network of Care
- Mildred Mattfeldt-Beman, Ph.D. (nutrition and dietetics), Geothermal Hoop House
- Brett Emo, Ph.D. (environmental and occupational health), On‐Site Heavy Metal Soil Remediation Using MIP‐SPE
- Yao‐Jan Wu, Ph.D. (civil engineering), Development of a Region‐wide Traffic Emission Estimation Platform for Environmental Sustainability Evaluation
For more information on the Sustainability Research Fund or other sustainability-related programs, contact the Center for Sustainability at 314-977-3608 or email@example.com. More information is also available on the Center's website.
About the Center for Sustainability
Building on the Jesuit tradition of leadership and service, Saint Louis University's Center for Sustainability uses interdisciplinary research, education, and development to advance sustainable approaches to the world's social, economic and environmental challenges. The Center develops partnerships across businesses, government agencies, communities and academic institutions that steward Earth's resources to help build socially responsible, environmentally conscious and economically prosperous communities. More information is available at http://green.slu.edu.