Student Development Announces New Name for Fall Orientation
The beginning weeks of school previously known as "Welcome Week" and "Welcome Back Weeks," will now be known as "Fall Welcome."
|Oriflamme Leaders help ignite Billiken pride in incoming freshmen students. Photo by Steve Dolan|
Fall orientation at Saint Louis University is referred to as "Welcome Week" when programming is specific to the arrival and orientation of first-year students, and "Welcome Back Weeks" when programming expands to returning students.
After consulting with faculty, staff, students and administrators, a proposal was submitted and approved for changing the names of "Welcome Week" and "Welcome Back Weeks" to an all-inclusive name of "Fall Welcome."
The new name of Fall Welcome will be helpful to ease current confusion with the names Welcome Week and Welcome Back Weeks, create an early fall schedule that is inclusive and intentional for new and returning students, and allow flexibility to grow the programming into the first few weeks of classes. This also creates two times throughout the year that intentional welcome activities are provided for new and returning students - Fall Welcome in August and Winter Welcome in January.
This name change will not alter the schedule of events and programs which is outlined below.
- Wednesday, Aug. 21 - Fall Welcome begins for first-year students
- Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 21-22 - First-year move-in
- Saturday, Aug. 24 - Fall Welcome begins for returning students
- Friday and Saturday, Aug. 23-24 - Returning student move-in
- Monday, Aug. 26 - First day of classes
To assist in this name change, below are a few ways to help in the transition.
- Share the name change with staff, in committee meetings, etc.
- Replace the name Welcome Week or Welcome Back Weeks with Fall Welcome on office websites and promotional materials (if necessary)
- Begin using Fall Welcome when speaking rather than Welcome Week or Welcome Back Weeks — especially with perspective and admitted students during admission events and SLU 101 this summer.
For more information, contact Ana Sontag by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 314-977-2805.