- Current Student Resources
DNP Student Capstone Projects
Alul, Hana, August 2014
- Topic Title: Hedis Scores and Uncomplicated Acute Bronchitis: The Analysis of a Webinar.
Baker, Richard, May 2014
- Topic Title: Implementation of a Pressure Ulcer Prevention Program Designed for Quality Improvement in the Long Term Care Facility.
Baldomero, Ryan, May 2014
- Topic Title: Retrospective Analysis of a Structured Telephone Protocol to Increase Participation Rates of Post Discharge Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients.
Beckerle, Carla J. Moore, May 2012
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Effects of Glycemic Control on Diabetes.
- Publications/Presentations: Beckerle, C. & Lavin, M.A. (2013) Association of Self-Efficacy and Self-Care with Glycemic Control in Diabetes, Diabetes Spectrum, 26, 172-178.
Bredy, Marie, August 2014
- Standardized HPV Gardasil Vaccine Promotion. A Retrospective Review.
Brock, Lyndsay, April 2014
- The Effect of and Educational Program to Prevent Oxygen Waste in the Austere Environment.
Bryant, Vera, May 2014
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Comparison of Electromagnetic Enteral Access Device Images to Abdominal Images for Accuracy in Bedside Placement of Small Bowel Feeding Tubes.
Cunningham, Mary Ann Wolf, May 2011
- Topic Title: Is Albuterol a Trigger for Atrial Fibrillation in the Post-Op Cardiac Surgery Patient?
- Publications/Presentations: Cunningham MA, Thanavaro, JL, Lorenz R, Delicath T, Budhathoki CB. (2012) Effect of bronchodilator treatment on the incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. Heart Lung;41(5):463-8. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.03.005.
Currier, Kristina May, December 2011
- Topic Title: Reducing Risks for Morbidity and Mortality Related to Metabolic Syndrome in Patients Taking Atypical Antipsychotics.
Dang, Thuy H., November 2010
- Topic Title: Improving Childhood Immunization Rate for a Low-Income Population Treated at a Federally Qualified Health Center.
Davis, Renee, May 2014
- Topic Title: Vitamin D Levels in Overweight/Obese Youth in a Midwest Urban Setting.
Dettenmeier, Patricia, April 2014
- The Impace of Motivation and Confidence Levels on Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Compliance in Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- Publications/Presentations: P. Dettenmeier (2014), iAyudame! Mi Esposo esta inconsciente!, Nursing 2014, June: 60-63. DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000441883.72501.6d.
Dixon, Kerri A. Marshall, May 2011
- Topic Title: Monitoring the risks of amiodarone therapy in primary care.
- Publications/Presentations: Dixon, K., Thanavaro, J., Thais, A., & Lavin, M. A. (2013). Amiodarone Surveillance in Primary Care. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(1), 46-54.
East, Susan A., May 2011
- Topic Title: The Association between Wound Closure Methods and Saphenous Vein Harvest Wound Complications after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
- Publications/Presentations: East, S., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.S. (in press) A retrospective review of leg wound complications after coronary artery bypass surgery. AORN.
Farran, Nicole Anne Neffgen, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Provider Adherence to Obesity Treatment Guidelines
- Publications/Presentations: Farran, N, Ellis, P, & Barron, ML. (2012). Assessment of provider adherence to obesity treatment guidelines. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, no-no. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2012.00769.x
Fitzgibbon, Marie C., May 2012
- Topic Title: Medication Reconciliation: reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from Hospital to Assisted Living
- Publications/Presentations: Fitzgibbon, M., Lorenz, R.A., & Lach, H. (in press). Medication Reconciliation: Reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from hospital to assisted living. Journal of Geriatric Nursing.
Franklin, JoAnn Bardol, November 2010
- Topic Title: Utilizing BMI as a guide for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes and the impact of NP intervention on diabetic markers
- Publications/Presentations: Franklin, J, Thanavaro, J. & Ellis, P. (2011). Body Mass Index as a Guide for Diagnosing Prediabetes and Diabetes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(8), 634-640. Podium Presentation: DNP Conference Sept. 2012 St. Louis, MO
Friess, Mary Kate Tadych, August 2012
- Topic Title: An Assessment of Chronic Disease Implications in a Midwest Medicaid Clinic.
Gerdes, Peggy JoAnn Thomsen, May 2012
- Topic Title: The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Re-Admissions
- Publications/Presentations: Gerdes, P.& Lorenz, R.A. (in press). The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Readmissions. Journal of Nurse Practitioners.
Gephart, Elizabeth F. O'Dell, May 2011
- Topic Title: Weight management quality improvement Project for Group Homes serving Youth with Developmental disabilities
- Publications/Presentations: Gephart, E.F. Loman, D.G (2012) Use of Prevention and Prevention Plus Weight Management Guidelines for Youth With Developmental Disabilities Living in Group Homes. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. doi: 10.1016/j.pedhc.2011.07.004
Hawkins, Patrick Dale, May 2012
- Topic Title: Improvement in hemoglobin management in hemodialysis patients after the initiation of CMS bundled PPS.
Healy, Eileen, May 2014
- Topic Title: Advanced Practice Pain Management Website Development and Evaluation.
Holzemer, Eve Marie, November 2010
- Topic Title: Modifying Risk Factors after TIA and Stroke:The Impact of Intensive Education
- Publications/Presentations: Holzemer, E.M, Thanavaro, J., Malmstrom, TK., & Cruz-Flores, S. (2011). Modifying Risk Factors After TIA and Stroke: The Impact of Intensive Education. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(5), 372-377. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2011.01.017
House, Teresa M. Paul, December 2011
- Topic Title: Advanced Directives in the Chronically Ill Hospitalized Patient: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- Publications/Presentations: House, T. & Lach, H. W. (2014). Advanced directives in hospitalized patients: A retrospective study. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(7), 465-471. .doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2014.04.007.
Houston, Kathleen P., November 2012
- Topic Title: Rapid antiretroviral therapy administration for acute sexual assault patients in the Emergency Unit
Jesenick, Crystal, May 2014
- Topic Title: Utilization of the Teach Back Method for Patient Education to Reduce 30-Day Readmission Rate in Patients with Heart Failure.
Keser, Kimberly A. Smith, December 2011
- Topic Title:Improving Blood Pressure through a Comprehensive Provider Intervention using JNC-7 Guidelines with the Use of EHR Records
Kim-Shepherd, So Youn, May 2012
- Topic Title: Physical Activity Prescription
Kleinsorge, Christina, August 2014
- Nursing Staff Knowledge Related to Prediabetes Screenings in Missouri Health Departments.
Kuensting, Laura L. Umbach, December 2011
- Topic Title: Comparing Subcutaneous Fluid Infusion to Intravenous Fluid Infusion in Children
- Publications/Presentations: Kuensting, L. L. (2013). Comparing subcutaneous fluid infusion with intravenous fluid infusion in children. J Emerg Nurs, 39(1), 86-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2012.04.017 Kuensting, L. L. (2011). Subcutaneous infusion of fluid in children. J Emerg Nurs, 37(4), 346-349. doi: 10.1016 j.jen.2010.05.005
Kush, Catherine, May 2014
- Topic Title: Preventing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions in Long-Term Care: The Effects of a Quality Improvement Project Using the INTERACT tools.
Massoni, Jennifer Ann, December 2012
- Topic Title: Patient Outcomes following Pleural Catheter Placement
McClellan, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Psychotropic Medications: Increased Body Mass Index and Elevated Blood Pressure in Children.
McNamar, Patricia, December 2012
- Topic Title: A Pediatric Office-Based Quality Improvement Project in a Rural Health Clinic
McRee, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: The impact of the electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes for patients with sepsis.
- Topic Title: Accuracy and Duplication of Tests in a Veterans Administration Compensation and Pension Department.
Papachrisanthou, Michelle Marie Mullenix, August 2012
- Topic Title: Increasing Immunization Adherence: The Effects of Visual Imagery and Verbal Education.
Petersen, Valarie Anne Shearer, November 2012
- Topic Title: An Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using The Outcomes Star.
- Publications/Presentations: Petersen, V., Ellis, P., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.An Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using The Outcomes Star (in Press) Clinical Scholars Review
Rhodes, Leslie, May 2014
- Topic Title: Comparing Bowel Regimens in Post-Operative Pediatric Orthopedic Patients: A Retrospective Review.
Robinson, Deborah Lynn Archey, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Nutritional Screening and Referral for Nutritional Services in Children with Cancer who have Received Treatment with Chemotherapy and/or Radiation.
- Publications/Presentations: Robinson, D. L., Loman, D. G., Balakas, K., & Flowers, M. (2012). Nutritional screening and early intervention in children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 29(6), 346-355. doi: 10.1177/1043454212460921
Rosenkoetter, Eileen, May 2014
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Selected Dietary Behaviors in Adolescents who attend an urban school with Non-competitive Foods.
Sanders, Michelle, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Use of an Early Warning Scoring System to Identify Patients at Risk for Code Blue.
Schmidt, April, May 2014
- Topic Title: Evaluating the Needs of Solid Tumor Cancer Patients: A Holistic Approach.
Schmidt, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Allergic Asthma Outcomes Using Asthma Action Plans: A Pilot Study.
Sherrer, Cathy, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Quality of Diabetes Care: Adherence to Selected Clinical Practice Guidelines in a Rural Health Clinic.
Shima, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Usefulness of a Portable Personal Health Record: A Pilot Study.
Snell, Mariea, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving the Detection of Trichomonas Vaginalis with the Implementation of a Step-Wise Approach to Testing in the High Risk Female.
Speight, Deanna, August 2014
- Implementation of Depression Screenings among Diabetics in Primary Care.
Thompson, Patricia, May 2014
- Topic Title: Electronic Health Record Reminders to Improve Rates of Colorectal Screening.
Underwood, Lindsay, May 2014
- Topic Title: Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit.
Valentine-Fjone, Claudia A., May 2014
- Topic Title: The Family Nurse Practitioner: Mental Health Practice Patterns in Missouri.
Ward, Wesley F., December 2011
- Topic Title: Cost of Insulin and Oral Hypoglycemic Medications as a Barrier to ADA Hemoglobin A1C Guidelines in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Publications/Presentations: Ward, W., Armbrecht, E. S., & Lavin, M. A. (2012). Medication possession and glycemic control among uninsured type 2 diabetics. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8(7), 528-533. doi: 10.1016/j.nurpra.2012.02.001
Weese, Brenda, November 2012
- Topic Title: Faith Placed Container Gardens: Promotional Means to Increase Fruit and Vegetable Intake.