- Current Student Resources
- Essential Requirements & Information
- RN to BSN
- MSN-NP & Post-Master's NP Certificate
- BSN to DNP
- MSN to DNP
- Course Descriptions
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Professional Liability
- Sigma Theta Tau Delta Lambda At Large Chapter
- Saint Louis University School of Nursing Student Handbooks
DNP Student Capstone Projects/Publications
Alul, Hana, August 2014
- Topic Title: Hedis Scores and Uncomplicated Acute Bronchitis: The Analysis of a Webinar.
Assid, Pam, December 2014
- Topic Title: Emergency Department Management of Hyperglycemic Emergencies.
Baker, Richard, May 2014
- Topic Title: Implementation of a Pressure Ulcer Prevention Program Designed for Quality Improvement in the Long Term Care Facility.
Baldomero, Ryan, May 2014
- Topic Title: Retrospective Analysis of a Structured Telephone Protocol to Increase Participation Rates of Post Discharge Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients.
Bartholomew, Tammy, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Pre-diabetes and Asymptomatic Diabetes in youth: Is it Time for a Change.
Beckerle, Carla J. Moore, May 201
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Effects of Glycemic Control on Diabetes.
- Publications/Presentations: Beckerle, C. & Lavin, M.A. (2013) Association of Self-Efficacy and Self-Care with Glycemic Control in Diabetes, Diabetes Spectrum, 26, 172-178.
Bredy, Marie, August 2014
- Standardized HPV Gardasil Vaccine Promotion. A Retrospective Review.
Brock, Lyndsay, April 2014
- The Effect of and Educational Program to Prevent Oxygen Waste in the Austere Environment.
Bryant, Vera, May 2014
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Comparison of Electromagnetic Enteral Access Device Images to Abdominal Images for Accuracy in Bedside Placement of Small Bowel Feeding Tubes.
- Bryant V, Phang J, & Abrams K: Comparison of electromagnetic enteral device images to abdominal radiograph images for accuracy in bedside placement of small bore feeding tubers. American Journal of Critical Care.
- Bryant V, Phang J, Abrams K: Verifying placement of small-bore feeding tubes: Electromagnetic device images versus abdominal radiographs. American Journal of Critical Care.24(6)525-531.
- Bryant V: Response to letter to editor: Accuracy of Electromagnetic Placement Devices. American Journal of Critical Care. 25(3)199-200
Cunningham, Mary Ann Wolf, May 2011
- Topic Title: Is Albuterol a Trigger for Atrial Fibrillation in the Post-Op Cardiac Surgery Patient?
- Publications/Presentations: Cunningham MA, Thanavaro, JL, Lorenz R, Delicath T, Budhathoki CB. (2012) Effect of bronchodilator treatment on the incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. Heart Lung;41(5):463-8. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.03.005.
Currier, Kristina May, December 2011
- Topic Title: Reducing Risks for Morbidity and Mortality Related to Metabolic Syndrome in Patients Taking Atypical Antipsychotics.
Dang, Thuy H., November 2010
- Topic Title: Improving Childhood Immunization Rate for a Low-Income Population Treated at a Federally Qualified Health Center.
Davis, Renee, May 2014
- Topic Title: Vitamin D Levels in Overweight/Obese Youth in a Midwest Urban Setting.
Dettenmeier, Patricia, April 2014
- The Impace of Motivation and Confidence Levels on Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Compliance in Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- Publications/Presentations: P. Dettenmeier (2014), iAyudame! Mi Esposo esta inconsciente!, Nursing 2014, June: 60-63. DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000441883.72501.6d.
Dixon, Kerri A. Marshall, May 2011
- Topic Title: Monitoring the risks of amiodarone therapy in primary care.
- Publications/Presentations: Dixon, K., Thanavaro, J., Thais, A., & Lavin, M. A. (2013). Amiodarone Surveillance in Primary Care. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(1), 46-54.
East, Susan A., May 2011
- Topic Title: The Association between Wound Closure Methods and Saphenous Vein Harvest Wound Complications after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
- Publications/Presentations: East, S., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.S. (in press) A retrospective review of leg wound complications after coronary artery bypass surgery. AORN.
Farran, Nicole Anne Neffgen, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Provider Adherence to Obesity Treatment Guidelines
- Publications/Presentations: Farran, N, Ellis, P, & Barron, ML. (2012). Assessment of provider adherence to obesity treatment guidelines. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, no-no. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2012.00769.x
Fitzgibbon, Marie C., May 2012
- Topic Title: Medication Reconciliation: reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from Hospital to Assisted Living
- Publications/Presentations: Fitzgibbon, M., Lorenz, R.A., & Lach, H. (in press). Medication Reconciliation: Reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from hospital to assisted living. Journal of Geriatric Nursing, December 2013 39(12) pp 22-29 doi: 10.3928/00989134-20130930-02.
Franklin, JoAnn Bardol, November 2010
- Topic Title: Utilizing BMI as a guide for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes and the impact of NP intervention on diabetic markers
- Publications/Presentations: Franklin, J, Thanavaro, J. & Ellis, P. (2011). Body Mass Index as a Guide for Diagnosing Prediabetes and Diabetes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(8), 634-640. Podium Presentation: DNP Conference Sept. 2012 St. Louis, MO
Friess, Mary Kate Tadych, August 2012
- Topic Title: An Assessment of Chronic Disease Implications in a Midwest Medicaid Clinic.
Gerdes, Peggy JoAnn Thomsen, May 2012
- Topic Title: The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Re-Admissions
- Publications/Presentations: Gerdes, P.& Lorenz, R.A. (in press). The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Readmissions. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, July/August 2013 9(7), pp. 422-427.
Gephart, Elizabeth F. O'Dell, May 2011
- Topic Title: Weight management quality improvement Project for Group Homes serving Youth with Developmental disabilities
- Publications/Presentations: Gephart, E.F. Loman, D.G (2012) Use of Prevention and Prevention Plus Weight Management Guidelines for Youth With Developmental Disabilities Living in Group Homes. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. doi: 10.1016/j.pedhc.2011.07.004
Hawkins, Patrick Dale, May 2012
- Topic Title: Improvement in hemoglobin management in hemodialysis patients after the initiation of CMS bundled PPS.
Healy, Eileen, December 2013
- Topic Title: Advanced Practice Pain Management Website Development and Evaluation.
- Publications/Presentations: Lavin, M.A., Healy, E. & Barron, M. L. (2015). Structuring advanced practice knowledge: An internet resource for education and practice. In Saba, V. K. & McCormick, K.A., (Eds.), Essentials of nursing informatics (pp. 347-361). New York, New York: McGraw-Hill.
Heberlie, Gina, December 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Screening Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency
Holzemer, Eve Marie, November 2010
- Topic Title: Modifying Risk Factors after TIA and Stroke:The Impact of Intensive Education
- Publications/Presentations: Holzemer, E.M, Thanavaro, J., Malmstrom, TK., & Cruz-Flores, S. (2011). Modifying Risk Factors After TIA and Stroke: The Impact of Intensive Education. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(5), 372-377. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2011.01.017
House, Teresa M. Paul, December 2011
- Topic Title: Advanced Directives in the Chronically Ill Hospitalized Patient: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- Publications/Presentations: House, T. & Lach, H. W. (2014). Advanced directives in hospitalized patients: A retrospective study. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(7), 465-471. .doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2014.04.007.
Houston, Kathleen P., November 2012
- Topic Title: Rapid antiretroviral therapy administration for acute sexual assault patients in the Emergency Unit
Jesenick, Crystal, May 2014
- Topic Title: Utilization of the Teach Back Method for Patient Education to Reduce 30-Day Readmission Rate in Patients with Heart Failure.
Keser, Kimberly A. Smith, December 2011
- Topic Title:Improving Blood Pressure through a Comprehensive Provider Intervention using JNC-7 Guidelines with the Use of EHR Records
- Publications/Presentations: Keser, Kimberly A., Lorenz, R.A. (2016). The effect of a comprehensive provider and patient intervention to improve blood pressure control. Journal of Doctoral Nursing Practice, 9(1), 4-12.
Kim-Shepherd, So Youn, May 2012
- Topic Title: Physical Activity Prescription
Kleinsorge, Christina, August 2014
- Nursing Staff Knowledge Related to Prediabetes Screenings in Missouri Health Departments.
Kuensting, Laura L. Umbach, December 2011
- Topic Title: Comparing Subcutaneous Fluid Infusion to Intravenous Fluid Infusion in Children
- Publications/Presentations: Kuensting, L. L. (2013). Comparing subcutaneous fluid infusion with intravenous fluid infusion in children. J Emerg Nurs, 39(1), 86-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2012.04.017 Kuensting, L. L. (2011). Subcutaneous infusion of fluid in children. J Emerg Nurs, 37(4), 346-349. doi: 10.1016 j.jen.2010.05.005
Kush, Catherine, May 2014
- Topic Title: Preventing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions in Long-Term Care: The Effects of a Quality Improvement Project Using the INTERACT tools.
Manus, David, December 2014
- Topic Title: Operating Room Staff Attitudes Toward Teamwork.
Massoni, Jennifer Ann, December 2012
- Topic Title: Patient Outcomes following Pleural Catheter Placement
McClellan, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Psychotropic Medications: Increased Body Mass Index and Elevated Blood Pressure in Children.
McNamar, Patricia, December 2012
- Topic Title: A Pediatric Office-Based Quality Improvement Project in a Rural Health Clinic.
- Publications/Presentations: McNamar, P., & Loman, D.G. (2014). A pediatric office-based quality improvement project: Retrospective evaluation. Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, 14(1), 18-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.14574/ojrnhc.v14i1.280
McRee, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: The impact of the electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes for patients with sepsis.
- Publications/Presentations: McRee, L., Thanavaro, JL., Moore, K., Goldsmith, M., & Pasvogel, A. (2014). The impact of an electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes for patients with sepsis. Heart and Lung-The Journal for Acute and Chronic Care, 43, 6, 546-549.
Owen, Joleyn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Accuracy and Duplication of Tests in a Veterans Administration Compensation and Pension Department.
Page, Sharon, December 2015
- Topic Title: Comparison of Text Message and Phone Call Reminders on Failure-to-Attend Appointment Rates in Pediatric Care.
Papachrisanthou, Michelle Marie Mullenix, August 2012
- Topic Title: Increasing Immunization Adherence: The Effects of Visual Imagery and Verbal Education.
Petersen, Valarie Anne Shearer, November 2012
- Topic Title: An Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using The Outcomes Star.
- Publications/Presentations: Petersen, V., Ellis, P., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.An Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using The Outcomes Star (in Press) Clinical Scholars Review
Rariden, Christina, May 2015
- Publications/Presentations: Rariden, C.A., Lavin, M.A. & Shumei, Y. (2015). Improving Prediabetes Screenings at Rural Missouri County Health Departments. Journal of Community Health. DOI 10.1007/s10900-015-0036-y
Rhodes, Leslie, May 2014
- Topic Title: Comparing Bowel Regimens in Post-Operative Pediatric Orthopedic Patients: A Retrospective Review.
- Publications/Presentations: Rhodes, L.N., Loman, D.G., & Bultas, M. (in press, accepted April, 2015). Comparing the outcomes of two post- operative bowel regimens in children with idiopathic scoliosis. Orthopaedic Nursing.
Robinson, Deborah Lynn Archey, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Nutritional Screening and Referral for Nutritional Services in Children with Cancer who have Received Treatment with Chemotherapy and/or Radiation.
- Publications/Presentations: Robinson, D. L., Loman, D. G., Balakas, K., & Flowers, M. (2012). Nutritional screening and early intervention in children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 29(6), 346-355. doi: 10.1177/1043454212460921
Rosenkoetter, Eileen, May 2014
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Selected Dietary Behaviors in Adolescents who attend an urban school with Non-competitive Foods.
- Publications/Presentations: Rosenkoetter, E., & Loman, D.G. Self-efficacy and self-reported dietary behaviors in adolescents at an urban school with no competitive foods. Journal of School Nursing. Prepublished/ ONLINE March 1, 2015, DOI:10.1177/1059840515570641
Sanders, Michelle, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Use of an Early Warning Scoring System to Identify Patients at Risk for Code Blue.
Schaeg, Lisa, December 2015
- Topic Title: Screening Children for Persistent Obstructive Sleep Apnea after Adenotonsillectomy.
- Publications/Presentations: Schaeg, L., (2016). Telephone screening to identify children at risk for persistent obstructive sleep apnea after adenotonsillectomy. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.pedhc.2016.06.006
Schmidt, April, May 2014
- Topic Title: Evaluating the Needs of Solid Tumor Cancer Patients: A Holistic Approach.
Schmidt, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Allergic Asthma Outcomes Using Asthma Action Plans: A Pilot Study.
Severine, Janet, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized TIA/Stroke Patients using the Stop-Bang Questionnaire.
- Publications/Presentations: Severine JE, Thanavaro J, Lorenz R, & Taylor J. Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized Transient Ischemic Attack Stroke Patients Using the Stop- Bang Questionnaire. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 12: 1; 20-26.
Sherrer, Cathy, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Quality of Diabetes Care: Adherence to Selected Clinical Practice Guidelines in a Rural Health Clinic.
Shima, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Usefulness of a Portable Personal Health Record: A Pilot Study.
Snell, Mariea, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving the Detection of Trichomonas Vaginalis with the Implementation of a Step-Wise Approach to Testing in the High Risk Female.
Speight, Deanna, August 2014
- Implementation of Depression Screenings among Diabetics in Primary Care.
Thompson, Patricia, May 2014
- Topic Title: Electronic Health Record Reminders to Improve Rates of Colorectal Screening.
Underwood, Lindsay, May 2014
- Topic Title: Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit.
- Underwood, L. (in press) Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit. Urologic Nursing Journal.
- Underwood, Lindsay. (2015). The effect of implementing a comprehensive unit-based safety program on urinary catheter use. Urologic Nursing. 35: 6; 271-279.
Valentine-Fjone, Claudia A., May 2014
- Topic Title: The Family Nurse Practitioner: Mental Health Practice Patterns in Missouri.
Ward, Wesley F., December 2011
- Topic Title: Cost of Insulin and Oral Hypoglycemic Medications as a Barrier to ADA Hemoglobin A1C Guidelines in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Publications/Presentations: Ward, W., Armbrecht, E. S., & Lavin, M. A. (2012). Medication possession and glycemic control among uninsured type 2 diabetics. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8(7), 528-533. doi: 10.1016/j.nurpra.2012.02.001
Weese, Brenda, November 2012
- Topic Title: Faith Placed Container Gardens: Promotional Means to Increase Fruit and Vegetable Intake.
Winegar, Rhonda, December 2014
- Topic Title: Hemiparetic Positioning of Hemiplegic Patients.