- Current Student Resources
- Essential Requirements & Information
- RN to BSN
- MSN-NP & Post-Master's NP Certificate
- BSN to DNP
- MSN to DNP
- Course Descriptions
- Financial Aid and Scholarships
- Professional Liability
- Sigma Theta Tau Delta Lambda At Large Chapter
- Saint Louis University School of Nursing Student Handbooks
DNP Student Capstone Projects/Publications
Alul, Hana, August 2014
- Topic Title: Hedis Scores and Uncomplicated Acute Bronchitis: The Analysis of a Webinar.
Assid, Pam, December 2014
- Topic Title: Emergency Department Management of Hyperglycemic Emergencies.
Baker, Richard, May 2014
- Topic Title: Implementation of a Pressure Ulcer Prevention Program Designed for Quality Improvement in the Long Term Care Facility.
Baldomero, Ryan, May 2014
- Topic Title: Retrospective Analysis of a Structured Telephone Protocol to Increase Participation Rates of Post Discharge Cardiac Rehabilitation Patients.
Bartholomew, Tammy, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Pre-diabetes and Asymptomatic Diabetes in youth: Is it Time for a Change.
Beckerle, Carla J. Moore, May 201
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Effects of Glycemic Control on Diabetes.
- Publications/Presentations: Beckerle, C. & Lavin, M.A. (2013) Association of Self-Efficacy and Self-Care with Glycemic Control in Diabetes, Diabetes Spectrum, 26, 172-178.
Bredy, Marie, August 2014
- Standardized HPV Gardasil Vaccine Promotion. A Retrospective Review.
Brock, Lyndsay, April 2014
- The Effect of and Educational Program to Prevent Oxygen Waste in the Austere Environment.
Bryant, Vera, May 2014
- Topic Title: A Retrospective Comparison of Electromagnetic Enteral Access Device Images to Abdominal Images for Accuracy in Bedside Placement of Small Bowel Feeding Tubes.
- Publications/Presentations: Bryant V, Phang J, & Abrams K (in press): Comparison of electromagnetic enteral device images to abdominal radiograph images for accuracy in bedside placement of small bore feeding tubers. American Journal of Critical Care.
Cunningham, Mary Ann Wolf, May 2011
- Topic Title: Is Albuterol a Trigger for Atrial Fibrillation in the Post-Op Cardiac Surgery Patient?
- Publications/Presentations: Cunningham MA, Thanavaro, JL, Lorenz R, Delicath T, Budhathoki CB. (2012) Effect of bronchodilator treatment on the incidence of postoperative atrial fibrillation after cardiac surgery. Heart Lung;41(5):463-8. doi: 10.1016/j.hrtlng.2012.03.005.
Currier, Kristina May, December 2011
- Topic Title: Reducing Risks for Morbidity and Mortality Related to Metabolic Syndrome in Patients Taking Atypical Antipsychotics.
Dang, Thuy H., November 2010
- Topic Title: Improving Childhood Immunization Rate for a Low-Income Population Treated at a Federally Qualified Health Center.
Davis, Renee, May 2014
- Topic Title: Vitamin D Levels in Overweight/Obese Youth in a Midwest Urban Setting.
Dettenmeier, Patricia, April 2014
- The Impace of Motivation and Confidence Levels on Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) Compliance in Obstructive Sleep Apnea.
- Publications/Presentations: P. Dettenmeier (2014), iAyudame! Mi Esposo esta inconsciente!, Nursing 2014, June: 60-63. DOI-10.1097/01.NURSE.0000441883.72501.6d.
Dixon, Kerri A. Marshall, May 2011
- Topic Title: Monitoring the risks of amiodarone therapy in primary care.
- Publications/Presentations: Dixon, K., Thanavaro, J., Thais, A., & Lavin, M. A. (2013). Amiodarone Surveillance in Primary Care. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 9(1), 46-54.
East, Susan A., May 2011
- Topic Title: The Association between Wound Closure Methods and Saphenous Vein Harvest Wound Complications after Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery.
- Publications/Presentations: East, S., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.S. (in press) A retrospective review of leg wound complications after coronary artery bypass surgery. AORN.
Farran, Nicole Anne Neffgen, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Provider Adherence to Obesity Treatment Guidelines
- Publications/Presentations: Farran, N, Ellis, P, & Barron, ML. (2012). Assessment of provider adherence to obesity treatment guidelines. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, no-no. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2012.00769.x
Fitzgibbon, Marie C., May 2012
- Topic Title: Medication Reconciliation: reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from Hospital to Assisted Living
- Publications/Presentations: Fitzgibbon, M., Lorenz, R.A., & Lach, H. (in press). Medication Reconciliation: Reducing risk for medication misadventure during transition from hospital to assisted living. Journal of Geriatric Nursing, December 2013 39(12) pp 22-29 doi: 10.3928/00989134-20130930-02.
Franklin, JoAnn Bardol, November 2010
- Topic Title: Utilizing BMI as a guide for diagnosing prediabetes and diabetes and the impact of NP intervention on diabetic markers
- Publications/Presentations: Franklin, J, Thanavaro, J. & Ellis, P. (2011). Body Mass Index as a Guide for Diagnosing Prediabetes and Diabetes. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(8), 634-640. Podium Presentation: DNP Conference Sept. 2012 St. Louis, MO
Friess, Mary Kate Tadych, August 2012
- Topic Title: An Assessment of Chronic Disease Implications in a Midwest Medicaid Clinic.
Gerdes, Peggy JoAnn Thomsen, May 2012
- Topic Title: The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Re-Admissions
- Publications/Presentations: Gerdes, P.& Lorenz, R.A. (in press). The Effect of an Outpatient Interdisciplinary Education Program on Heart Failure Readmissions. Journal of Nurse Practitioners, July/August 2013 9(7), pp. 422-427.
Gephart, Elizabeth F. O'Dell, May 2011
- Topic Title: Weight management quality improvement Project for Group Homes serving Youth with Developmental disabilities
- Publications/Presentations: Gephart, E.F. Loman, D.G (2012) Use of Prevention and Prevention Plus Weight Management Guidelines for Youth With Developmental Disabilities Living in Group Homes. Journal of Pediatric Health Care. doi: 10.1016/j.pedhc.2011.07.004
Hawkins, Patrick Dale, May 2012
- Topic Title: Improvement in hemoglobin management in hemodialysis patients after the initiation of CMS bundled PPS.
Healy, Eileen, December 2013
- Topic Title: Advanced Practice Pain Management Website Development and Evaluation.
- Publications/Presentations: Lavin, M.A., Healy, E. & Barron, M. L. (2015). Structuring advanced practice knowledge: An internet resource for education and practice. In Saba, V. K. & McCormick, K.A., (Eds.), Essentials of nursing informatics (pp. 347-361). New York, New York: McGraw-Hill.
Heberlie, Gina, December 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Screening Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency
Holzemer, Eve Marie, November 2010
- Topic Title: Modifying Risk Factors after TIA and Stroke:The Impact of Intensive Education
- Publications/Presentations: Holzemer, E.M, Thanavaro, J., Malmstrom, TK., & Cruz-Flores, S. (2011). Modifying Risk Factors After TIA and Stroke: The Impact of Intensive Education. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 7(5), 372-377. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2011.01.017
House, Teresa M. Paul, December 2011
- Topic Title: Advanced Directives in the Chronically Ill Hospitalized Patient: A Retrospective Cohort Study
- Publications/Presentations: House, T. & Lach, H. W. (2014). Advanced directives in hospitalized patients: A retrospective study. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 10(7), 465-471. .doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2014.04.007.
Houston, Kathleen P., November 2012
- Topic Title: Rapid antiretroviral therapy administration for acute sexual assault patients in the Emergency Unit
Jesenick, Crystal, May 2014
- Topic Title: Utilization of the Teach Back Method for Patient Education to Reduce 30-Day Readmission Rate in Patients with Heart Failure.
Keser, Kimberly A. Smith, December 2011
- Topic Title:Improving Blood Pressure through a Comprehensive Provider Intervention using JNC-7 Guidelines with the Use of EHR Records
Kim-Shepherd, So Youn, May 2012
- Topic Title: Physical Activity Prescription
Kleinsorge, Christina, August 2014
- Nursing Staff Knowledge Related to Prediabetes Screenings in Missouri Health Departments.
Kuensting, Laura L. Umbach, December 2011
- Topic Title: Comparing Subcutaneous Fluid Infusion to Intravenous Fluid Infusion in Children
- Publications/Presentations: Kuensting, L. L. (2013). Comparing subcutaneous fluid infusion with intravenous fluid infusion in children. J Emerg Nurs, 39(1), 86-91. doi: 10.1016/j.jen.2012.04.017 Kuensting, L. L. (2011). Subcutaneous infusion of fluid in children. J Emerg Nurs, 37(4), 346-349. doi: 10.1016 j.jen.2010.05.005
Kush, Catherine, May 2014
- Topic Title: Preventing Avoidable Hospital Readmissions in Long-Term Care: The Effects of a Quality Improvement Project Using the INTERACT tools.
Manus, David, December 2014
- Topic Title: Operating Room Staff Attitudes Toward Teamwork.
Massoni, Jennifer Ann, December 2012
- Topic Title: Patient Outcomes following Pleural Catheter Placement
McClellan, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Psychotropic Medications: Increased Body Mass Index and Elevated Blood Pressure in Children.
McNamar, Patricia, December 2012
- Topic Title: A Pediatric Office-Based Quality Improvement Project in a Rural Health Clinic.
- Publications/Presentations: McNamar, P., & Loman, D.G. (2014). A pediatric office-based quality improvement project: Retrospective evaluation. Online Journal of Rural Nursing and Health Care, 14(1), 18-42. http://dx.doi.org/10.14574/ojrnhc.v14i1.280
McRee, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: The impact of the electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes for patients with sepsis.
- Publications/Presentations: McRee, L., Thanavaro, JL., Moore, K., Goldsmith, M., & Pasvogel, A. (2014). The impact of an electronic medical record surveillance program on outcomes for patients with sepsis. Heart and Lung-The Journal for Acute and Chronic Care, 43, 6, 546-549.
Owen, Joleyn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Accuracy and Duplication of Tests in a Veterans Administration Compensation and Pension Department.
Page, Sharon, December 2015
- Topic Title: Comparison of Text Message and Phone Call Reminders on Failure-to-Attend Appointment Rates in Pediatric Care.
Papachrisanthou, Michelle Marie Mullenix, August 2012
- Topic Title: Increasing Immunization Adherence: The Effects of Visual Imagery and Verbal Education.
Petersen, Valarie Anne Shearer, November 2012
- Topic Title: An Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using The Outcomes Star.
- Publications/Presentations: Petersen, V., Ellis, P., Lorenz, R.A., Armbrecht, E.An Interventional Study of Guiding Homeless Persons to Self-Reliance Using The Outcomes Star (in Press) Clinical Scholars Review
Rariden, Christina, May 2015
- Publications/Presentations: Rariden, C.A., Lavin, M.A. & Shumei, Y. (2015). Improving Prediabetes Screenings at Rural Missouri County Health Departments. Journal of Community Health. DOI 10.1007/s10900-015-0036-y
Rhodes, Leslie, May 2014
- Topic Title: Comparing Bowel Regimens in Post-Operative Pediatric Orthopedic Patients: A Retrospective Review.
- Publications/Presentations: Rhodes, L.N., Loman, D.G., & Bultas, M. (in press, accepted April, 2015). Comparing the outcomes of two post- operative bowel regimens in children with idiopathic scoliosis. Orthopaedic Nursing.
Robinson, Deborah Lynn Archey, December 2011
- Topic Title: Assessment of Nutritional Screening and Referral for Nutritional Services in Children with Cancer who have Received Treatment with Chemotherapy and/or Radiation.
- Publications/Presentations: Robinson, D. L., Loman, D. G., Balakas, K., & Flowers, M. (2012). Nutritional screening and early intervention in children, adolescents, and young adults with cancer. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs, 29(6), 346-355. doi: 10.1177/1043454212460921
Rosenkoetter, Eileen, May 2014
- Topic Title: Self-Efficacy and Selected Dietary Behaviors in Adolescents who attend an urban school with Non-competitive Foods.
- Publications/Presentations: Rosenkoetter, E., & Loman, D.G. Self-efficacy and self-reported dietary behaviors in adolescents at an urban school with no competitive foods. Journal of School Nursing. Prepublished/ ONLINE March 1, 2015, DOI:10.1177/1059840515570641
Sanders, Michelle, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Use of an Early Warning Scoring System to Identify Patients at Risk for Code Blue.
Schaeg, Lisa, December 2015
- Topic Title: Screening Children for Persistent Obstructive Sleep Apnea after Adenotonsillectomy.
Schmidt, April, May 2014
- Topic Title: Evaluating the Needs of Solid Tumor Cancer Patients: A Holistic Approach.
Schmidt, Laura, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving Allergic Asthma Outcomes Using Asthma Action Plans: A Pilot Study.
Severine, Janet, December 2014
- Topic Title: Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized TIA/Stroke Patients using the Stop-Bang Questionnaire.
- Publications/Presentations: Severine JE, Thanavaro J, Lorenz R, & Taylor J. Screening for Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Hospitalized Transient Ischemic Attack Stroke Patients Using the Stop- Bang Questionnaire. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 12: 1; 20-26.
Sherrer, Cathy, May 2014
- Topic Title: The Quality of Diabetes Care: Adherence to Selected Clinical Practice Guidelines in a Rural Health Clinic.
Shima, Lynn, May 2014
- Topic Title: Usefulness of a Portable Personal Health Record: A Pilot Study.
Snell, Mariea, May 2014
- Topic Title: Improving the Detection of Trichomonas Vaginalis with the Implementation of a Step-Wise Approach to Testing in the High Risk Female.
Speight, Deanna, August 2014
- Implementation of Depression Screenings among Diabetics in Primary Care.
Thompson, Patricia, May 2014
- Topic Title: Electronic Health Record Reminders to Improve Rates of Colorectal Screening.
Underwood, Lindsay, May 2014
- Topic Title: Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit.
- Underwood, L. (in press) Inappropriate Use of Urinary Catheters in the Neurological/Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit. Urologic Nursing Journal.
- Underwood, Lindsay. (2015). The effect of implementing a comprehensive unit-based safety program on urinary catheter use. Urologic Nursing. 35: 6; 271-279.
Valentine-Fjone, Claudia A., May 2014
- Topic Title: The Family Nurse Practitioner: Mental Health Practice Patterns in Missouri.
Ward, Wesley F., December 2011
- Topic Title: Cost of Insulin and Oral Hypoglycemic Medications as a Barrier to ADA Hemoglobin A1C Guidelines in Diabetes Mellitus.
- Publications/Presentations: Ward, W., Armbrecht, E. S., & Lavin, M. A. (2012). Medication possession and glycemic control among uninsured type 2 diabetics. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 8(7), 528-533. doi: 10.1016/j.nurpra.2012.02.001
Weese, Brenda, November 2012
- Topic Title: Faith Placed Container Gardens: Promotional Means to Increase Fruit and Vegetable Intake.
Winegar, Rhonda, December 2014
- Topic Title: Hemiparetic Positioning of Hemiplegic Patients.