Saint Louis University
School of Nursing
office: (314) 977-8934
fax: (314) 977-8840
Teaching: Dr. Palmer completed her PhD in 2009 and joined the faculty of the school of nursing at that time where she teaches or has taught Leadership and Management, Health Promotion Across the Lifespan, Research and Evidence Based Practice, Human Growth and Development Across the Lifespan, Conceptual Framework, clinicals in the undergraduate program and in the inter-professional experiences (IPE) program.
Practice: Dr. Palmer's area of clinical expertise is in gerontological nursing, specifically in the area of dementia and family caregivers. She has experience working in many settings including long-term care.
Research: Dr. Palmer's program of research focuses on individuals with dementia and their caregivers. Dr. Palmer was a 2007-2009 John A. Hartford Foundation, Building Academic Geriatric Nursing Capacity Predoctoral Scholar.
- PhD, Nursing, Saint Louis University, 2009
- MS, Gerontology, University of Missouri-St. Louis, 1994
- BSN, University of Missouri-Columbia, 1986
- Certified Nurse Educator (CNE), 2011
- Certificate, Center for Teaching Excellence, Saint Louis University, 2008
- Palmer, J. L., Langan, J., Krampe, J., Krieger, M. M., Lorenz, R. A., Schneider, J., Smith, J. M., Lach, H. W. (in press). A Model of Risk Reduction for Older Adults Vulnerable to Nursing Home Placement. To appear in Research and Theory for Nursing Practice.
- Murray, T., Palmer, J. L., Wunderlich, R. J., Giancola, J., Shaw, J. (in press). An Academic-Service Partnership to Promote and Support RNs Return to School. To appear in Journal of Nursing Education.
- Krampe, J., L'Ecuyer, K., Palmer, J. L. (2013). An Online Dedicated Education Unit Preceptor Orientation. Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 44(8), 352-356.
- Palmer, J. L. (2013). Preserving Personhood of Individuals with Advanced Dementia: Lessons from Family Caregivers. Geriatric Nursing, 34, 224-229.
- Palmer, J. L. (2012). Just TALKKK to me! 6 communication patterns for nursing home staff to use with caregivers. Journal of Gerontological Nursing, 38(4), 47-54.
- Langan, J., Palmer, J. L. (2012). Listening to and learning from older adult Hurricane Katrina survivors. Public Health Nursing, 29(2), 126-135.
- Midwest Nursing Research Society
- Sigma Theta Tau International
- National Gerontological Nursing Association