Saint Louis University
School of Nursing
office: (314) 977-8998
fax: (314) 977-8949
Teaching: Ms. Bertram joined the Saint Louis University School of Nursing as a full-time instructor in Fall, 2010; she taught as an adjunct instructor for the School from 1999-2010. She teaches Communication Laboratory in the Traditional & ABSN Program, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing across pre-licensure programs, and Advanced Clinical Studies in the AMSN Program.
Practice: Ms. Bertram's practice experience includes 15 years of staff and charge positions in inpatient psychiatric units. She also served in nurse consultant positions, most recently on a research study in the Child Welfare System. She continues to provide consultant services, teaching medication management to foster parents.
- PhD, (Candidate), College of Education, Educational Leadership and Policy Studies, University of Missouri - St. Louis.
- MSN, Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, St. Louis University.
- BSN, Nursing, St. Louis University.
Certifications and Professional Memberships:
- ANCC Certification: Child and Adolescent Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing, Clinical Nurse Specialist.
- Certification through Missouri Assisted Living Association, Level I Medication Aide Trainer.
- Certification through NAMI Family to Family, Facilitator.
- Member: American Nurses Association.
- Member: American Psychiatric Nurses Association.
- Member: International Society of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurses.
- Officer, Recording secretary, Counselor: Sigma Theta Tau.
Research and Scholarly Activities: Ms. Bertram is interested in quality of care for individuals who experience mental health concerns. Her research foci include: Shared Decision-Making, Foster Care, Mental Health Care and Psychiatric Nursing.
Selected Peer-reviewed Publications Related to Mental Health Care
- McMillen, J. C., Narendorf, S. C., Robinson, D., Havlicek, J., Fedoravicius, N., Bertram, J., & McNelly, D. (2015). Development and piloting of a treatment foster care program for older youth with psychiatric problems. Child and adolescent psychiatry and mental health, 9(1), 1-13.
- Bertram, J., Narendorf, S.C., & McMillen, J.C. (2013, December). Pioneering the Psychiatric Nurse Role in Foster Care. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 27(6), 285-292 doi:10.1016/japnu.2013.09.003
- Narendorf, S.C., Bertram, J., & McMillen, J.C. (2011). Diagnosis and medication overload? A Nurse Review of the Psychiatric Histories of Older Youth in Treatment Foster Care. Child Welfare, 90(3), 27-43.
- Bertram, J. (2014). Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. In J. Rhoads & P. Murphy (Eds.), Clinical Consult to Psychiatric Nursing for Advanced Practice. (Chapter 13). New York, NY: Springer.