- Majors & Degrees
- Traditional Four-Year Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (TBSN)
- Accelerated One-Year Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (ABSN)
- Registered Nurse to Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (RN to BSN)
- Accelerated Master's of Science in Nursing (AMSN)
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nurse Practitioner (MSN-NP)
- Post-Master's Nurse Practitioner Certificate (Post-MSN NP Certificate)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Post-Baccalaureate (BSN to DNP)
- Doctor of Nursing Practice - Post-Master's (MSN to DNP)
- Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)
Baccalaureate-degreed RNs who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply to the Master of Science in Nursing Nurse Practitioner degree program. RNs who have recently graduated from a BSN program and do not yet have clinical work experience may be considered for admission to the master's program for part-time study while concurrently gaining work experience as a graduate nurse.
Applicants to the School of Nursing apply to Graduate Education of Saint Louis University for admission. Applicants for admission are considered individually based on the following admissions requirements:
- Baccalaureate degree in nursing from a program accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency.
- Cumulative credit point average (GPA) of 3.25 on a 4.0 system for admission as a Classified student.
- Supporting recommendations from three persons (preferably master's or doctorally prepared nurses, not related to you) who can speak to your potential for success in a master's level nursing program of study.
- Submission of a type-written, double spaced, goal statement of approximately one or two pages in length describing your short- and long-term goals in becoming a certified NP.
- Curriculum Vita/Resume documenting educational, clinical nursing, service to nursing profession, and community volunteer experiences as appropriate.
- An unencumbered registered nurse license in the state in which clinical experience will be done.
- Current CPR certification (American Heart Association). Required after acceptance into the MSN program.
- Personal interview may be required.
Saint Louis University currently accepts applications to the Nurse Practitioner (Master's, Post-Master's NP Certificate, and DNP) programs from those who reside in the following states: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.
Undergraduate pre-requisites that must be completed prior to specific graduate courses:
- Completion of an undergraduate-level descriptive and inferential statistics course prior to enrollment in General Research Methods.
- Completion of a beginning-level health assessment course or the equivalent thereof is required prior to enrollment in Advanced Health Assessment.
The following must be completed during the first semester enrolled and prior to the first clinical course:
- Unencumbered registered nurse licensure in the State of Missouri or in other states in which you will complete your practica. Proof of licensure must be on file with the School of Nursing.
- Submission of a current completed Student Health Record. Proof of updated immunizations and a current TB screening is required.
- Submission of a copy of your card from a completed American Heart Care Provider Course.
Any international student on a F1 or J1 Student visa is not eligible for admission due to the fact that the MSN and Post-Master's Certificate Programs are totally online. For additional information, contact the International Services office at 314-977-2318.
Information regarding each specific specialty is provided by the following faculty coordinators:
Adult/Gerontological Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Karen S. Moore, DNP, APRN, ANCP-BC
Adult/Gerontological Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
Geralyn Ochs, MSN, RN, ANP, ACNP-BC
phone: (314) 977-8936
Family Nurse Practitioner
Cathy Koetting, DNP, APRN, CPNP, NP-C
phone: (314) 977-8940
Pediatric Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
Deborah Loman, PhD, APRN, CPNP
phone: (314) 977-8963
Psychiatric-Mental Health Nursing
Rita Tadych, PhD, PMH APRN-BC
phone: (314) 977-8979