Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
What is Nutrition and Dietetics?
Dietetics is the application of food and nutrition knowledge to promote health, prevent disease and minimize disability. Registered dietitians (RDs) are food and nutrition experts. They promote sound nutrition practices that help shape food choices throughout the lifespan.
Program curriculum builds upon a strong foundation in the sciences and includes unique aspects such as the investigation of nutrition topics in the media, the study of ethnic meal patterns, and hands-on exposure within clinical, culinary and management settings. Courses include classroom, lab, and community experiences. Studying abroad is possible for students through planning with their academic advisors.
What Makes Us Unique!
At SLU , our program is distinguished by the following :
- One of the only program in the country to offer a Bachelor of Science in Nutrition and Dietetics with a Special Emphasis in Culinary Arts.
- Clinical Practicum provides hands-on experience in hospital and food service settings.
- Unique classes such as Hot Topics in Nutrition, Ethnic Meal Management, Culinary and Medicinal Herbs, Critical Reading of Research Material, and Clinical Practicum.
- Small class sizes, friendly atmosphere, and high quality of academic advising.
- Interdisciplinary study with wide range of disciplines that develop skills important to modern health care.
- Curriculum emphasis in environmental awareness and sustainable food systems.
- A student-supported cafeteria; check out Fresh Gatherings Cafe.
- Volunteer and leadership opportunities.
- Over the past five years our supervised practice placement average is 86% and first time pass rate on the registration exam is 96%.
The Didactic Program in Dietetics and the Supervised Practice Program (Dietetic Internship) at Saint Louis University are currently granted Accreditation by the The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND). http://www.eatright.org/ACEND/
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) is the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' accrediting agency for education programs preparing students for careers as registered dietitians or dietetics technicians.
ACEND exists to serve the public by establishing and enforcing eligibility requirements and accreditation standards that ensure the quality and continued improvement of nutrition and dietetics education programs. Programs meeting those standards are accredited by ACEND.
The Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), 120 South Riverside Plaza, Suite 2000, Chicago, IL 60606-6995, 312/899-5400