The purpose of the Preselect Dietetic Internship Admission Option is to offer qualified Saint Louis University undergraduate dietetic and DPD students the opportunity to apply for admission into the Saint Louis University Dietetic Internship/Masters Program during their senior year and be granted direct admission into the program upon final acceptance and successful completion of the DPD and Bachelor of Science program requirements. Students applying to the Preselect Admission option will commit to attending the Saint Louis University Dietetic Internship the year following undergraduate completion and bypass the computer matching application and selection Dietetic Internship process.
Current SLU Students:
Students currently enrolled at Saint Louis University who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Preselect Admission Option during their senior year and/or after completion of Advanced Nutrition (DIET 385).
Students that transfer into the Saint Louis University's Department of Nutrition and Dietetics who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Preselect Admission Option during their senior year and/or after completion of Advanced Nutrition (DIET 385).
*Undergraduate and Graduate coursework will be considered in the cumulative GPA.
**DPD GPA will be calculated using the courses outlined on the Preselect admission form.
1. Interested applicants must schedule an appointment with their department mentor to review the admission requirements and discuss the application process.
2. Interested, qualified applicants need to complete the Saint Louis University Pre-select Admission Form fall semester of their senior year no later than December 30th for preadmission into the Dietetic Internship class for the following year. Forms are available from your mentor or can be downloaded at http://www.slu.edu/x18787.xml.
3. Interested, qualified applicants need to complete the ADA Supervised Practice Application Form fall semester of their senior year no later than December 30th for preadmission into the Dietetic Internship class for the following year. Forms are available from your mentor or can be downloaded at http://www.depdpg.org/585.cfm%20.
4. Three letters of recommendation using the standard ADA Waiver & Recommendation Form from Saint Louis University Faculty and/or other professionals that can attest to your academic and/or professional attributes and support your application for the Preselect program must be submitted with the application packet. Please submit each reference letter in a sealed envelope with the signature of the person submitting reference on the envelope closure.
5. Letter of Application (s) including professional interests, goals, personal attributes, etc that support(s) your candidacy for the SLU Dietetic Internship and aptitude for a the specific track(s) should be included. A separate letter of application is required for EACH Track. This letter should indicate which track (s) you are applying to) Nutrition Therapy = matching code 170; Health and Wellness = matching code 168). You may apply to both tracks and prioritize your choices on the Pre-select admission form.
6. Statement of intent to complete a DPD must be included in the Pre-select application and a Verification Statement of DPD completion must be submitted by August. 1st of the Internship Year.
7. A resume listing prior work experience, honors, awards, and other relevant data should be included in the Pre-select application packet.
8. The completed application packet must be submitted to the Dietetic Internship
Director no later than December 30th for preadmission into the Dietetic Internship class for the following year.
9. Completed applications packets can be hand delivered to the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics or mailed (postmarked deadline December 30th) to:
Internship Selection Committee
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics
Doisy College of Health Sciences
Saint Louis University
3437 Caroline Street, Room 3076
St. Louis, MO 63104-1111
1. Applications will be reviewed by the Internship Selection Committee upon receipt of the fall semester grades and calculation of the final cumulative and DPD GPA. Applicants will receive written notification of acceptance or rejection into the Dietetic Internship Program no later than January 15th prior to the scheduled Dietetic Internship year.
2. Selection criteria will include academic performance, faculty recommendations, participation in professional or community organizations, extracurricular activities, honors and awards, and the committee's assessment of the individual's ability to successfully complete the Saint Louis University Internship Program. Meeting minimum requirements for the Preselect Dietetic Internship Option does not guarantee acceptance into the Dietetic Internship Program.
3. Selection criteria for the specific internship track will be based on personal statement and qualifications for the track. Notification of internship track placement will be included with acceptance into the preselect option and will be no later than January 15th prior to the scheduled Dietetic Internship year.
4. The total number of internship positions available for the Preselect Option is 34 annually; however, the selection process is track specific and is limited to the total number of positions approved for each track. . Therefore, a total of up to 16 positions are available for the Nutrition Therapy Track (code 170) and 18 for the Health and Wellness Track (code 168). The application and selection process for each track is separate and competitive. The remaining positions following preselection will be filled through the computer matching process.
5. Students are accepted into the Saint Louis Dietetic Internship for the year immediately following completion of their undergraduate requirements.
6. Students notified of acceptance in the SLU Dietetic Internship but decide to participate in computer matching, pursue other educational/career options, or postpone the internship should do so by January 15th before the scheduled Internship year with written notification to the Dietetic Internship Director and if applicable notify D & D Digital to participate in computer matching.
7. Admittance into the Saint Louis University Dietetic Internship is contingent on maintaining a 3.5 cumulative GPA, a 3.4 DPD GPA, a minimum grade of a C in all DPD course requirements and completion of all DPD requirements.
8. It is the policy of the Department of Nutrition and Dietetics that no person shall, on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, marital status, creed, or
handicap, be excluded from participation in, be denied benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in the selection process.
1. Applicants will receive written notification from the Dietetic Internship Director of acceptance or rejection into the Preselect Dietetic Internship Admission Option within 30 days after receiving the completed application. Failure to maintain academic and graduation requirements will compromise Internship placement.
2. Written confirmation to the Dietetic Internship Director accepting the internship position is required by January 30th. Students preselected for internship positions are required to notify D& D digital of their preselection and withdraw from the computer match if they have previous registered to participate in the Dietetic Internship selection match.
3. Students entering the Dietetic Internship must apply to and meet all requirements for admission to the Saint Louis University Graduate School. As a portion of their internship, dietetic interns will be concurrently enrolled in 12 semester hours of graduate courses, tailored to their internship emphasis. The applications to the Dietetic Internship and Graduate school are separate application processes. Applications for the Internship must be submitted to the Saint Louis University Department of Nutrition and Dietetics before the established deadlines for ADA matching.. The application for the graduate school should be initiated after the applicant has been accepted into the Internship. There is a $40.00 graduate school application fee. The graduate school application should be submitted directly to the Graduate School. The process and forms for Graduate school application are available at http://www.slu.edu/x37584.xml
4. Official Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores, A minimum GRE score scores of 450 in both Verbal and Quantitative Sections & 4 in the Writing Section are required for admission into the graduate program.
5. For additional program information, costs, and requirements can be found here.
6. Final transcripts, DPD verification and Dietetic Internship Admission Fee of $100.00 will need to be submitted prior to beginning the internship program.