Student Conduct Board
Student Conduct Officers (SCO) receive extensive training on the University policies and hearing processes. They are trained as a Student Conduct Board Member and as a student advisor to the student(s) involved in the hearing process. This allows the Student Conduct Officer to better serve the student by experiencing all aspects fo the hearing.
As a member of the Student Conduct Board, SCOs listen to evidence concerning alleged violation of residence hall standards, the Code of Conduct, and University policies. They also make decisions regarding students' responsibility for policy violations. For those who are found responsible for policy violations, they help determine sanctions that enhance students' understanding of their role in the community and challenge them to examine their attitudes and personal decisions that resulted in policy violations.
Student Advisors work directly with the students involved in the hearing as either the student being charged with violations, or as the complaining party. The Student Advisor helps the student prepare their case to be presented before the Board or Individual Hearing Officer, supports the student through the hearing and assist with an appeal if needed.
In addition to weekly hearings, SCOs actively participate in policy and wellness education to further promote policy literacy and character development at SLU.
- Good academic and conduct standing
- Must be able to maintain confidential information
- Organizational and Time Management is a must
- Reliable and Dependable
- Good reasoning and inquiry skills
- Knowledge of campus resources
- Valuable experience on a hearing board.
- Improve student skills in communication, organization, empathy, and expression.
- Educate students about acceptable community behaviors.
- Instill a true sense of mission and cura personalis.
- Gain valuable leadership experience.
- Provide a needed peer perspective for students in the conduct process.
An application and selection process happens each spring for the following academic year.