Parent Academic FAQs

Will a copy of my student’s grades be mailed to my home?
Grades are not sent to the student or parents in the mail. Students access their grades online in Banner. Students may grant access for parents and family members to see their grades (and other information including Academic Records, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Housing and/or Conduct Records) through mySLU Share.  Alternatively, parents may complete a FERPA waiver form and provide a copy of their 1040 tax form indicating the student as their dependent in order to gain access to their child’s information. The FERPA waiver does not result in grades being automatically provided to the parent/s. The waiver does give the parent/s the right to access academic information by contacting the office of the registrar, advisor or instructor.

What is FERPA and how does it affect my student and me?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 – FERPA (Buckley Amendment) is a federal law mandating that a college student’s academic information can be shared only if the student completes a FERPA waiver form or the parent of a dependent student completes a waiver form.

Where can my student get a transcript?
Students can request transcripts either through Banner Self-Service, by a fax or in person in the Registrar’s office. Faxed transcript requests must have the signature of the student in order to be processed. In Banner Self-Service, the student can request the transcript and track when the transcript was printed. Transcripts are mailed the day they are printed and transcript requests are processed within 2-3 business days.

Where can I get the academic calendar?
The academic calendar is available online through the registrar’s office.

What academic resources are available to my student?
The Student Success Center is located in the Busch Student Center, Suite 331 and on the Medical Center in the School of Nursing, Room 114. They are designed to assist students through the process of becoming more competent and confident independent learners. They offer services to all students in writing and tutoring. Students can schedule a time with a tutor or writing consultant easily with the online appointment scheduler. They also support students with disabilities by offering academic accommodations and aid first year students in their transition to Saint Louis University through the University 101 course and the MAP Works transition assessment.

Does my student need permission to drop a class?
Yes. The permission of the advisor is needed to drop a class. In many cases a Registration PIN is the advisor permission to register or change registration. After the first week of class, the signature of the advisor is required to drop a class. Check the University Academic Calendar for specific dates related to dropping a class if your student hopes to drop without a “W” appearing on their transcript. Be aware that a student may have various “holds” placed on their account which would prohibit their ability to drop/add classes and would need to be resolved before any changes to their registration could be made. For a listing of possible holds visit the registrar's office.

Does SLU cancel classes in the event of severe winter weather?
The University rarely shuts down or even alters its class schedule. In the event of severe weather, any changes to the University opening can be found on the snowline (314) 977-SNOW. The University Winter storm policy details further considerations for University closings.

What should my student do if they are having trouble selecting a major or career?
Students can consult with their academic adviser, a career counselor or faculty mentor if they are having trouble with any of these decisions. Early in college, it is important for students to become engaged in the college community. With participation in campus clubs, co-curricular activities and internships comes the development of the person and a focus on career interests. Being unsure about what major to pursue only really becomes an issue when, in the junior and senior years, students have made little attempt to discover who they are and potential career areas that are of interest. Students can contact a career development specialist for further assistance.

Where can my student and I get more information on Commencement?
Commencement information can be obtained by visiting the commencement site. Graduating students will need to complete a graduation application that will need to be submitted in advance to the Registrars office.

Who should my student contact to update contact information?
Contact information can be updated through Banner Self-Service at any time.

Higher purpose. Greater good.
© 1818 - 2017  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer   |  Mobile Site
St. Louis   |   Madrid