June 3, 2018 - June 6, 2019
Saint Louis University will offer a Summer Structural Engineering Experience for rising high school juniors and seniors from the St. Louis region. Students will work in teams of four with an engineering student mentor to design and build an 8 ft long Styrofoam bridge capable of supporting up to 1,500 lbs. Attendees will learn the basic engineering principles necessary to design their bridge through an interactive scavenger hunt where they will explore the Saint Louis University campus.
The Summer Structural Engineering Experience is open to rising high school juniors and seniors from the St. Louis area, with preference to students from St. Louis Public Schools. Seating is limited to 24 students who will be selected based on their applications. Applicants must have completed Algebra I and Geometry by the end of the 2018-2019 academic year and be on a college prep track to qualify for the Summer Structural Engineering Experience.
- April 30: Summer Structural Engineering Experience applications due
- Week of May 6: Notice of acceptance will be sent out.
Camp will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.
FREE for all accepted applicants!
Funded by the National Science Foundation Grant No. 1726621
Saint Louis University's Parks College of Engineering, Aviation and Technology
McDonnell Douglas Hall
3450 Lindell Blvd, St. Louis, MO 63103
Click here to apply for the Summer Structural Engineering Experience.
Consideration for acceptance into the Summer Structural Engineering Experience requires all of the following components:
- Completed online application form, due April 30
- Current official high school transcript
- Letter of recommendation - Letter must be from someone familiar with your academic performance, character, career aspirations, or community service and include how long the writer has known you. May include, but not limited to a guidance counselor, teacher, principal, coach, church leader or employer. The letter may reflect your scholarly activities, conduct, attitude, ability to work as a member of a team, and so on.
The transcript and letter of recommendation can be emailed directly from a teacher, counselor or administrator to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed in a sealed envelope to:
SLU Parks College
Attn: Dr. Chris Carroll
3450 Lindell Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63103