SLUCare's Department of Pathology provides state-of-the art muscle biopsy diagnostic services for patients with suspected inflammatory or noninflammatory and congenital myopathies, degenerative disorders, dystrophies or neuropathies. Muscle biopsies can be evaluated along with peripheral nerve biopsies.
Our muscle biopsy service offers:
- Expertise for both adult and pediatric muscle disorders.
- Rapid turnaround time
- Normally 24-48 hours for histochemical stains and light microscopic evaluation.
- EM results available in 2-3 days.
- Light microscopy with evaluation of H&E. Special stains including trichrome stain, PAS with and without diastase, oil red O, and histochemical reactions for ATPase at pH 4.3, 4.6 and 9.4 and NADH activity.
- Immunofluorescence for a large number of specific myopathies and skeletal muscle proteins, if clinically indicated and requested.
- Electron microcopy to evaluate the biopsy for changes in specific myopathies, such as mitochondrial disorders.
- Discussion of findings with the referring neurologist.
- Competitive fee schedule.
Biopsy tissue can be sent to other reference labs for additional biochemical testing, as approved by the patient's insurance carrier and/or referring pathology department.
Preparing and Sending Muscle Biopsies:
Send Biopsies to:
Department of Pathology
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
1402 S. Grand Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63104
Please call the laboratory to make arrangements for weekend or after-hours biopsy delivery.
Reports are available online or can be faxed to the doctor's office. If requested, results can be called in to the physician.
The muscle biopsy referral service maintains a competitive fee structure. For specific charges, call Marcia Weis at (314) 577-8475.
For More Information
For questions or information regarding services, contact Dr. Carole Vogler at (314) 577-8475.