Hours of Operation
The Histopathology Laboratory is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday and is closed on weekends and SLUCare holidays.
- Telephone: (314) 977-7874
- Fax: (314) 977-7879
- 4th Floor Schwitalla Hall
- 1402 S. Grand
Request for Services
Histology specimens are accepted only if requested by a physician or other authorized person. Authorized sources include:
- Any physician on staff at SLUCare and its affiliate hospitals
- Any clinic or practice that participates in the Saint Louis University Hospital outreach program
- Any clinic or service within the Saint Louis University hospital system
- Any physician licensed to practice in Missouri and/or Illinois
- Any licensed reference laboratory
Should an emergency arise and a specimen must be picked up at a time the laboratory is closed, a "rush" pick-up can be arranged by calling the Histopathology Laboratory at (314) 977-7874.
- The majority of small biopsy specimens will be reported within two days of receipt.
- Large and unfixed specimens require additional fixation, and the report will be delayed by at least an additional day. The majority of these specimens will be reported within three days of receipt.
In the following situations, the report will usually be delayed further. In such cases, an interim report may be issued, or the consulting pathologist may discuss the case with the referring physician.
- Specimens where the tissue requires decalcification (e.g. bone)
- Specimens requiring lengthy and involved procedures, particularly those involving immunohistochemistry, immunofluorescence or enzyme- or other special stains
- Specimens where the pathologist feels that a second opinion may be of benefit to the patient
- Specimens that may pose a risk of infection