Athletic Training Program
TECHNICAL STANDARDS POLICY FOR ATHLETIC TRAINING STUDENTS
Athletic Training Students must be able to perform certain mental, physical, and other tasks that are essential in providing care for their patients. These requirements are outlined in the Program's Technical Standards for Athletic Training Students.
After being admitted to the program, Athletic Training students must submit a signed certification statement stating that they believe that they can meet these standards with or without accommodation. The student's statement is also confirmed through a physical examination by a licensed healthcare provider of the student's choosing who also signs a statement on the form (Physician, PA, or Advanced Nurse Practitioner).
The certification form must be on file before beginning the courses or clinical experiences of the program. If a student believes they may require accommodation(s) in order to meet these requirements, they must have their need for accommodation validated through the Saint Louis University's Disability Services Office. The office can be contacted at:
Disability Services Office
Busch Student Center-Student Success Center
20 North Grand Blvd., Suite 331
St. Louis, MO 63103
Telephone: (314) 977-3484, Fax: (314) 977-3486
This office works jointly with the student and the Athletic Training Education Program to explore accommodation options.
Accommodation may not be possible in some cases.
- Any student who cannot meet each of the Technical Standards with or without accommodation cannot be enrolled in the Athletic Training Education Program.
- Students requesting accommodations must have their need for accommodation validated through the Office of Disability Services.
- Requests for accommodation are not used prejudicially against students.
- Students are responsible for informing their instructors about needs for accommodation for classroom or clinical education courses.
- Accommodation requests must be made in a timely fashion in order to permit adequate time to arrange the accommodation. It may not be possible to provide some accommodations on short notice.