- Faculty and Staff
Christine Werner, PhD, PA-C, RD
Department of Physician Assistant Education
Phone: (314) 977-8640
Ph.D. in Human Nutrition and Foods
Virginia Tech University
Master of Science, Human Nutrition
Physician Assistant Studies
Saint Louis University
Registered Dietitian and Physician Assistant (PA). Ten years Cardiology PA. Clinical PA in emergency medicine and urgent care.
Evidence-Based Medicine Education, Medical Simulation Education
Dr. Blessing is a qualitative researcher interested in creating, developing and evaluating various aspects of innovative teaching strategies and models. She oversees all qualitative research studies conducted by undergraduate senior Clinical Laboratory Science (CLS) and Investigative and Medical Sciences (IMS) students. She is also the program director of the new, innovative, research-intensive Doisy College Master of Science in Health Sciences (MSHS) degree program and in that role will mentor Master's students who have a similar research interest.
Current Research Project
Development and assessment of student-created content review modules in Laboratory Medicine written in the form of stories
Laboratory Medicine Content Review Module Description
Each story is written in chapters that detail an interesting case study encountered by Laboratory Detective Driver. Interwoven into each story are pertinent patient history and symptoms and laboratory tests ordered with results when appropriate. Detective Driver's mission is to "solve the case." Questions for consideration by the reader are strategically incorporated into the stories for self-assessment. The ultimate goal is to assemble a group of such stories and combine them into an online and/or physical book.
Study Design: Qualitative Research
Example Research Questions
- What skills do students develop and sharpen by completing the Laboratory Medicine Content Review Modules?
- To what extent does completion of Laboratory Content Review Modules have on student performance on the department final comprehensive and the post-graduation certification exams?
- What do students see as the advantages and disadvantages of completing one or more Laboratory Content Review Modules.
Example Data Collection Strategies
- Observations of students discussing the content, usability, etc.. of the Laboratory Medicine Content Review Modules
- Individual interviews
- Focus-group interviews
- Document analysis
Current Status of the Project
- Five stories have been created
- The effectiveness of one story has been studied and the major outcome was that students found the story to very helpful as they study for their department comprehensive exam and for the post-graduation certification exam
- Currently in discussions with a well-known publisher about the possibility of converting these stories into online modules that can be used for students and practitioners
- The concept has been submitted for presentation at the Fall 2012 American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) meeting; notification of acceptance or not expected sometime in late summer
- To understand the current perspectives of cytotechnology educators.
- To determine the learners' perception of the teaching and learning environment/climate in the cytotechnology classroom.
- To assess the effect on the cytotechnology students' perspectives of classroom environment/climate and how it may correlate with the instructional perspectives of cytotechnology educators.
Lieske C and Zeibig EA. Essentials of Medical Laboratory Practice, FA Davis Publishers, Philadelphia, PA
Publications Submitted and Under Review:
Breitbach A, Sargeant D, Gettemeier P, Ruebling I, Carlson J, Eliot K, Kienstra, Zeibig-Blessing E. From Buy-in to Integration: Melding an Interprofessional Initiative into Academic Programs in the Health Professions, submitted to the Journal of Allied Health.
Zeibig EA. Clinical Parasitology: A Practical Approach, 2nd Edition. WB Saunders Company, an imprint of Elsevier Publishing Company, Philadelphia PA. Expected publication- Fall 2012.
Johns G, Zundel B, Denesiuk L, and Zeibig EA. Blood Banking & Transfusion Medicine: Principles and Practices, Pearson Prentice Hall-Expected publication- Spring 2013.