Marla Berg-Weger, Ph.D., M.S.W.
Professor; Social Work
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Geriatric Education Center
Social Work Practice, Gerontological Social Work Practice, Introduction to Social Work
Ph.D., Washington University
M.S.W., University of Kansas
B.S.W., Kansas State University
Family caregiving; meaningful activities for persons with dementia
Publications and Media Placements
- Meuser, T.M., Berg-Weger, M., Carr, D.B., Shi, S.J. & Stewart, D. (2016). Clinician
Effectiveness in Assessing Fitness-to-Drive of Medically At-Risk Older Adults. Journal
of the American Geriatrics Society, 64, 849-854.
Berg-Weger, M., Tebb, S.S., Henderson-Kalb, J., & Zublatsky, J. (2015). Cognitive stimulation therapy: Integrating into your practice. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 16(9), 795-798.
- Morley, J.E., Morris, J.C., Berg-Weger, M., Borson, S., Carpenter, B.D., del Campo, N., Dubois, B., Fargo, K., Fitten, L.J., Flaherty, J.H., Ganguli, M., Grossberg, G.T., Malmstrom, T.K., Petersen, R.D., Rodriguez, C., Saykin, A.J., Scheltens, P., Tangalos, E.G. Verghese, J., Wilcock, G., Winblad, B., Woo, J., & Vellas, B. (2015). Brain Health: The Importance of Recognizing Cognitive Impairment, an IAGG Consensus Conference. Journal of American Medical Directors Association, 16(9), 731-739.
- Stowe, J. D., Cooney, T. M., Bonne, S., Meuser, T. M., Berg-Weger, M., Schmidt, N., & Coughenour, J. (2015). A randomized crash injury prevention trial of transitioning high-risk elders from driving. Journal of trauma and acute care surgery, 79(1), 132-137.
Honors and Awards
- 2015 Certificate of Recognition for Achievement in Research and Scholarship, College for Public Health and Social Justice
- 2015 Mentor Recognition, Council on Social Work Education Women’s Council
Professional Organizations and Associations
- AGE SW Gerontological Social Work Pre-Dissertation Initiative, co-coordinator
- Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work, chair-elect for Social Research and Policy Practice
- Council on Social Work Education, member
- Gerontological Society of America - Publications Committee, Social Research - Policy
and Practice Section Executive Committee, past co-chair and current member
- Hartford Partnership Program for Aging Education National Advisory Panel
- Independent Transportation Network Board of Directors, vice-chair
- Missouri Sub-Committee on Elder Mobility and Safety, past chair and member of the executive committee
- St. Louis Alzheimer's Association Program Services, chair
- Journal of Gerontological Social Work, managing editor
Community Work and Service
Berg-Weger is co-project director of the Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program with
John Morley of Saint Louis University's School of Medicine Geriatrics Division. It
is a a three-year project to provide geriatric education to students and community
Community partners include: SSM Healthcare, St. Louis Alzheimer's Association, Northside Youth and Senior Services, Myrtle Hilliard David Health Center, St. Louis County Health Department, Perry County Memorial Hospital, and A.T. Still University (Kirksville, MO) and Missouri Area Health Education Centers.