Marla Berg-Weger, Ph.D., M.S.W.
Professor; Social Work
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Geriatric Education Center
Social Work Practice, Gerontological Social Work Practice, Introduction to Social Work
Ph.D., Washington University
M.S.W., University of Kansas
B.S.W., Kansas State University
Family caregiving; meaningful activities for persons with dementia
Publications and Media Placements
- Morley, J.E., Berg-Weger, M., & Lundy, J. (2018). Non-pharmacologic treatment of cognitive impairment. Journal of Nutrition and Health Aging.
- Egan, K.J., Pinto, A., Bighelli, I., Berg-Weger, M., van Straten, A., Albanese, E., & Pot. A. (2018). A systematic review of online training and support programs for careers of people with dementia: A public health priority. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 19(3), 200-206e1.
- Dickerson, A., Molnar, L., Bedard, M., Eby, D., Berg-Weger, M., Choi, M., Grigg, J., Horowitz, A., Myers, A., O'Connor, M., Silverstein, N., & Meuser, T. (2017). Transportation and Aging: An Updated Research Agenda for Advancing Safe Mobility among Older Adults Transitioning from Driving to Non-Driving. The Gerontologist; doi:10.1093/geront/gnx120.
- Stewart, D.B., Berg-Weger, M., Tebb, S.S., Sakamoto, M., Roselle, K., Downing, L., Lundy, J. & Hayden, D. (2017). Making a difference: A quasi-experimental study of cognitive stimulation therapy (CST) for persons with dementia with and without yoga. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 60(4), 300-312. (on list of top 10 downloads for 2017).
- Sanders, S., Anderson, K.A., Berg-Weger, M., Kaplan, D., & Schroepfer, T. (2017). Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work (AGESW): Key initiatives and directions. Journal of Gerontological Social Work, 60(5), 330-334.
- Morley, J.E., Little, M.O., & Berg-Weger, M. (2017). Rapid Geriatric Assessment: A Tool for Primary Care Physicians. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 17 (195-199).
- 2018 Keeping Older Adults Safe in Heat Waves, NPR
- 2018 Family Caregiving, NPR
- 2018 Written testimony provided to the Senate Sub-Committee on Labor on Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program Funding
Honors and Awards
- 2017 Outstanding Faculty Mentor, College for Public Health and Social Justice
- 2015 Certificate of Recognition for Achievement in Research and Scholarship, College for Public Health and Social Justice
- 2015 Mentor Recognition, Council on Social Work Education Women’s Council
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work, co-coordinator of the Pre-Dissertation Fellow Initiative
- Gerontological Society of America - chair, Social Research and Policy Practice
- Council on Social Work Education, member
- Journal of Gerontological Social Work, managing editor
- 2009 Journal of Gerontological Social Work
- 2018 Journal of the American Medical Directors Association
- 2018 Journal of Nutrition Health and Aging
Community Work and Service
Berg-Weger is co-project director of the Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program with John Morley of Saint Louis University's School of Medicine Geriatrics Division. It is a a three-year project to provide geriatric education to students and community practitioners.
Community partners include: SSM Healthcare, St. Louis Alzheimer's Association, Northside Youth and Senior Services, Myrtle Hilliard David Health Center, St. Louis County Health Department, Perry County Memorial Hospital, and A.T. Still University (Kirksville, MO) and Missouri Area Health Education Centers.