Kenton Johnston, Ph.D., M.P.H.
Assistant Professor; Health Management and Policy
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Analytical Methods; Health Insurance and Managed Care
- Ph.D., in health services research and health policy, Emory University
- M.P.H., West Virginia University
- M.S., West Virginia University
- B.A., University of Ottawa
Health economics; health outcomes; health services research; older adults; Medicare.
Publications and Media Placements
- Johnston K, Allen L, Melanson T, Pitts S. A patch to the NYU emergency department
visit algorithm. Health Services Research. 2017;52(4):1265-1276. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28726238
- Johnston K. Hockenberry J. Are two heads better than one or do too many cooks spoil
the broth? The tradeoff between physician division of labor and patient continuity
of care for older adults with complex chronic conditions. Health Services Research.
- Johnston K, Wen H, Hockenberry J, Joynt-Maddox K. Association between patient cognitive and functional status and Medicare total annual cost of care: implications for value-based payment. JAMA Internal Medicine. 2018;178(11):1489-1497. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/30242381
Find Kenton Johnston on ResearchGate
Honors and Awards
- Best of AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting (2018)
- John M. Eisenberg Article-of-the-Year Award, Health Services Research (2017)
- Best of AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting, Health Services Research (2016)
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Academy for Healthcare Management, fellow
- American Public Health Association
- Association of University Programs in Health Administration
- Gerontological Society of America
Community Work and Service
Kenton Johnston serves on the Board of Directors for L'Arche St. Louis. L'Arche exists to make known the gifts of people with intellectual disabilities and to build communities where people with and without disabilities can live and grow together in friendship.