Cara L. Wallace, PhD, LMSW, APHSW-C
Assistant Professor; Social Work
College for Public Health and Social Justice
Aging; Clinical Concentration; Direct Practice; End of Life; Health Care; Values and Ethics
- Ph.D., The University of Texas at Arlington
- M.S.W., The University of Texas at Arlington
- B.S.W., Texas Christian University
Hospice and end of life care; family communication; barriers to care; health care decision making; older adults.
Publications and Media Placements
Cara Wallace, PhD, LMSW was interviewed by St. Louis Public Radio's "St. Louis On the Air" about how to broach important topics related to end-of-life care.
Wallace, C.L., Cruz-Oliver, D.M., Ohs, J., & Hinyard, L. (2018). Connecting the personal experiences of loss and professional practices in advance care planning and end-of-life care: A survey of providers. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, 35(11), 1369-1376. doi: 10.1177/1049909118783736.
Wallace, C.L., Adorno, G., & Stewart, D. (2018). End-of-life care in nursing homes: A qualitative interpretive meta-synthesis. Journal of Palliative Medicine, 21(4), 503-512, doi: 10.1089/jpm.2017.0211.
Wallace, C.L., Swagerty, D., Barbagallo, M., Vellas, B., Bong Cha, H., Holmerova, I., Morley, J.E. (2017). GARN/IAGG International survey of end-of-life care in nursing homes. JAMDA, 18(6),465-469. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jamda.2017.04.002.
A full list of publications can be found here.
Honors and Awards
- Cara Wallace, PhD, LMSW is one of five researchers awarded seed grants by The Gary and Mary West Foundation to advance palliative care research.
- Saint Louis University, Gateway Geriatric Education Center, 2016 Geriatric Leadership Scholar
Professional Organizations and Associations
- Association for Gerontology Education in Social Work, board member (2017-2019)
- Council on Social Work Education, member
- Gateway End-of-Life Coalition, board member (2016 - present)
- Gerontological Society of America, member
- Journal of Social Work in End-of-Life and Palliative Care, board member (2017-2019)
- Social Work Hospice and Palliative Care Network, member