January 5, 2016
Dear Students, Faculty and Staff,
The suspect in the robbery reported earlier this evening at Morrissey Hall has been apprehended and is in police custody at this time. The victim, who is not affiliated with the University, was not injured during the incident.
The Department of Public Safety increased its patrols in and around the area tonight. As always, DPS would like to share some important safety tips in light of this incident.
Before an incident occurs:
• Walk with others whenever possible, especially at night.
• Remain alert and aware of your surroundings.
• Scan parking lots, sidewalks and streets for suspicious persons or activity.
• Look confident and purposeful when you walk.
• Report any suspicious activity or persons on campus to DPS by calling 314-977-3000.
If you are the victim of a crime:
• Call DPS immediately at 314-977-3000 if the incident occurs on campus.
• Call 911 immediately if the incident occurs off campus. After calling 911, notify DPS as soon as possible.
• Make a mental note of the suspect's description and direction of travel from the scene. If there is more than one suspect, concentrate on the suspect closest to you.
As a reminder, DPS provides free safety escorts for students, faculty, staff and visitors from on campus facilities. To request a safety escort call 314-977-RIDE (314-977-7433).
The University also facilitates cab service from off campus locations if the student does not have the funds immediately available to pay the cab fare. Call 314-977-3000 to arrange this service.
James E. Moran
Assistant Vice President
Director of Public Safety
Saint Louis University