In Major Exploration, it is our expectation that our students will be successful. Students will work closely with their Academic Advisor and Career Development Specialist to explore and establish their educational plan.
The Role of the Student:
- Meet with your Academic Advisor for all required appointments and group sessions.
- Come to advising appointments prepared to assume responsibility for degree and curriculum planning.
- Clarify personal values and goals and provide your Academic Advisor with accurate information regarding academic interests and abilities.
- Establish and maintain communication with your Academic Advisor, Career Development Specialist, and faculty.
- Familiarize yourself with University policy & procedure, the academic structure of the University, the Undergraduate Catalog, and your academic program(s) of interest.
- Become knowledgeable about college programs/services and utilize available University resources and services
- Ask questions if you do not understand an issue or have a specific concern.
- Keep a personal record of your progress toward meeting academic goals.
- Accept responsibility for decisions and actions (or inactions) that affect educational progress and goals.
- Display respect for your Academic Advisor and maintain a positive attitude toward the advising process.
The Role of the Academic Advisor:
- Protect and secure the integrity of a SLU degree by enforcing all university and departmental policies and requirements.
- Aid students in developmental transitions (i.e. high school to college, first year to sophomore year, etc.).
- Support students through the exploration process.
- Assist students in creating curriculum plans and reviewing academic performance.
- Clarify the program/curriculum requirements particularly as it relates to the University mission.
- Introduce students to resources for academic and career related success.
- Encourage advisees to develop skills that will lead to self-ownership.
- Clarify the purpose and roles within the Integrated Advising and Mentoring System.
- Be available, approachable, and display a genuine interest in each advisee.