I want to take a class over the summer.
- Do you need to take a course in order to remain in sequence with your program?
- Do you have a feeling that you should?
- Do you want to make up credit hours because you withdrew from a class?
- Do you want to take additional classes for fun or to get ahead?
Academic Advisors generally endorse additional summer coursework if you need a course to stay in sequence for a specific program OR out of your own personal interest. Ask your Academic Advisor if you have questions about what classes to complete over the summer.
If you choose to take a summer class (either at SLU or another institution), you will need to follow the steps below.
- Prepare for pre-registration appointment & discuss your summer course plans with your Academic Advisor.
- Know your deadlines
- Registration for summer classes at SLU occurs during the spring semester. View the academic calendar for specific dates.
- Registration at other institutions will vary and will not necessarily correspond with SLU time lines. You are responsible for finding these deadlines.
- Complete necessary paperwork
- For SLU summer classes: No additional paperwork is needed. Your courses will be automatically included on your SLU transcript.
- For summer classes at other institutions: Seek pre-approval with a Summer Course Transfer form (instructions included).
The preapproval process allows you to confirm that the course you are taking at another institution will fulfill the SLU requirement you desire. You can view an unofficial database of course equivalents to help you get started. The database is an unofficial record of courses previously transferred to SLU. If a course is not listed, this means that no one prior to you has transferred that course to SLU. It does not mean the course will not transfer.
In order to have an accepted course appear on your transcript, you will need to submit a copy of your transcript from the other institution and achieve a grade of C or higher.