Saint Louis University

Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible for me to study abroad?

How do I find out who my faculty mentor is?

Can I take a summer course at another institution?

How do I switch majors?

How do I declare a minor?

What can I do with my major?

Why do I have multiple advisors/mentors?

How often should I meet with my advisor/mentor?

How can I request my registration PIN?

What if my parents or I don't agree with my advisor/mentor?

What happens if I register late?

What happens if I don't get into a class that I need?

Where can I get help if I'm struggling with a course?

How do I drop a class?

How do I have my academic transcripts sent here?

Is it possible for me to study abroad?

 It depends on your program. You will need to discuss this possibility with your Academic Advisor. In preparing to talk to your advisor, please consider whether or not you are willing/able to take courses over the summer. Also consider where you would like to study abroad and take the time to talk with the study abroad office for more information on the program you are considering. For a complete list of SLU-approved study abroad programs and for more information on studying abroad, please visit the Study Abroad website.


 How do I find who my faculty mentor is?

Login to Banner Self Service

Select the Student tab
Select Student Records
Select View Student Information, and choose the current academic term
Select Go to all Advisor/Mentor Listing and look for the person listed as your First Major Mentor. Once you find your Mentor's name, you can look up his/her contact information on PeopleFinder. There's also a link to PeopleFinder on your MySLU homepage.


Can I take a class over the summer at another institution?

It depends on the class, but generally, this is a common practice. Any course taken at another institution must be approved by your academic department. To apply to take another course, please follow these steps:


Identify the institution where you hope to take the course, and find the course name, number, and the description of the course found in that institution's catalogue. Please note that in some cases, a full syllabus for that course may be requested by the academic department at SLU.

  • Determine if and when that course will be offered.
  • Contact that school's Registrar and/or Admission Offices with questions about becoming a guest student and the registration process.
  • Bring all of the above information to the Student Success Center- Medical Center. 
  • You will then fill out petition paperwork that will be sent along to your academic department for approval.

When the paperwork has been returned to your Academic Advisor, you will be contacted and told whether or not that course is approved. If the course is approved, you may plan on taking that class. If the course is not approved, you may not expect to receive credit toward your academic program for that particular course. 


How do I switch majors?

You will need to speak with your academic advisor about switching majors. If you are interested in a major that is still within the Medical Center (Doisy College of Health Sciences, Nursing, Public Health), then your advisor will review the requirements of that new major and fill out the appropriate paperwork. If you are interested in a major that is outside of the Medical Center, you will need to speak with your advisor to receive an Advisor Referral Form. This form will allow you to speak with an advisor in a different college.

How do I declare a minor? 


You will need to see your advisor to fill out the paperwork to declare a minor. The steps to declare may vary depending on the college that the minor is located. You may begin working toward a minor before actually declaring, but you must officially declare this minor before it will appear on your official transcript. Once you declare a minor, you will be assigned a Faculty Mentor in that minor department. This is your point of contact for ensuring that you have fully completed the minor requirements. Your primary academic advisor can help you construct a curriculum plan that incorporates your minor, but will not be able to officially advise you on the specific requirements of the minor. 


What can I do with my major?


For more information on career paths for your major, contact your Faculty Mentor. If you are unsure that this career path is for you, you should also consider utilizing Career Services, whose services are free to all SLU students and alumni.  


Why do I have multiple advisors/mentors?

Every student has at least one advisor and one mentor. Your primary advisor will advise you on your primary major, and your First Major Mentor will act as a professional guide within your primary major. There are many scenarios that would result in a student having more than one advisor and mentor. They include, but are not limited to:

Students in Honors, the Medical Scholars Program, and Student Educational Services

  • If you are a student in any of these programs, you can expect to be assigned a Secondary Advisor. This advisor will serve as a resource for the requirements of that particular program.

Students with a second major in another college:

  • If you have another major in a college outside of Doisy, Nursing, or Public Health, you will have a Second Major Mentor. This mentor will be your point of contact to ensure that you are completing the requirements for that major.

Students with a minor:

  • Any student with a minor will be assigned a Minor Mentor. This mentor will be your point of contact to ensure that you are completing the requirements for that minor. 


How often should I meet with my Academic Advisor and/or Faculty Mentor?

Your Advisor(s) and Faculty Mentor(s) are here to help you obtain the most out of your academic experience at SLU, so you must meet with them at least once per semester. 


How can I request my Registration PIN?

You will need to request your PIN from your advisor and/or the front desk of the Student Success Center. Please note that we cannot release your PIN until you have made contact with both your academic advisor and your faculty mentor. If you see your mentor before you see your advisor, you will receive your PIN during your advising appointment. If you see your mentor after you see your advisor, you may contact the front desk of the Student Success Center to obtain your PIN. It is your responsibility to make sure you complete all of this prior to your registration date. 


I and/or my parents don't agree with what my Academic Advisor suggests. What should I do?

When opinions from parents, faculty, and advisors seem to conflict, weighing options and reaching a choice that you're comfortable with can be difficult. Your academic advisor can talk with you about your options and the possible outcomes of various choices, and is also knowledgeable about complicated policies and procedures that can make a difference in your academic plan. If you think you are obtaining incorrect advice, however, please ask to speak with the supervisor of that advising unit. 

I have to register late. Will all of the classes I want/need be closed?


There will always be options, but you may not be able to obtain your first choice of classes. Be sure to look at course availability before your registration date. If a class has only 2 or 3 seats left, you should be prepared to register for an alternative course. 

I cannot get into a class that I absolutely have to take. Now what do I do?


You may e-mail/visit the instructor of the closed course and ask permission to be overridden into the course. Do not expect the instructor to say 'yes.' If the instructor agrees to let you in, you will need to complete a Change of Registration Form, which will need to be processed at the Registrar's Office in DuBourg Hall 22.

I am struggling in one or more of my classes. Where can I get help?


As a SLU student you have many resources available to you. Academic Support specializes in providing opportunities for success. Tutoring Services, Writing Services,and Disability Services are all available to help students navigate the difficult subject matter that you will encounter as a SLU student.

I'm thinking of dropping a class. How do I do this, and how do I know if it's the right decision?


Change of Registration Form. Several factors can influence the decision to drop a class:

Benefits of Dropping a Course

Timing is important! If you drop a class during the first two weeks of the semester, the class is simply removed from your transcript. If you drop between the second and tenth week of the semester, you will receive a "W" for your grade. The "W" is a permanent part of your record, but does not affect your GPA.

  • Dropping a course is better than receiving an "F" for your final grade. An "F" is a permanent part of your record and can drastically affect your GPA.
  • If you drop a course that is very demanding, you will have more available time to work on your other courses and perhaps improve those grades.
  • If you are on a scholarship and must maintain a certain GPA, dropping a class with a low grade may be necessary in order to meet your GPA requirement.

Risks of Dropping a Course

  • Dropping a course could potentially drop your credit hour amount below 12 credit hours (which is considered full-time). This can potentially affect your financial aid, housing, and/or health insurance. Please contact Student Financial Services, Housing and Residence Life, and/or your personal insurance carrier for more information.
  • Dropping multiple courses during your time at SLU may have a negative impact on future employers and graduate schools.
  • Dropping a course that is a pre-requisite for another course could put you behind in your major, especially if the course is offered only once per year. Talk to your Academic Advisor about this risk!
  • Dropping a course affects the number of credit hours you have completed, and therefore may affect your class standing. Back to the top


I took classes outside of SLU.  How do I get the transcripts here?


You must contact the institution where you took other coursework, and have them send an official transcript to the Registrar's Office at SLU. For more information on sending transcripts, please visit the Registrar's Office. 

You must contact the institution where you took other coursework, and have them send an official transcript to the Registrar's Office at SLU. For more information on sending transcripts, please visit the Registrar's OfficeBack to the top