Commencement Adornment Policy
In recognition of the degree or certificate being granted, as well as the service component of a graduate's Jesuit education that supports it, the following adornments are allowed during a commencement ceremony:
- Medals, pins, honor cords, and stoles conferred by SLU (the Institution as a whole).
- Medals, pins, honor cords, and stoles conferred by arecognized SLU organization, or by a SLU school, college or center.
- A stole or cord issued or supported by the University's Office of International Services.
- A red, white and blue cord worn by active military and veterans.
- Adornments to the top of the mortarboard; however, these are limited to adornments that represent the degree being granted. Three dimensional adornments on the mortarboard are not permitted.
All graduates, irrespective of program or degree, are required to wear the traditional cap and gown appropriate to the degree being conferred. The wearing of the hood, when appropriate, is optional but highly recommended.