Criteria for Requesting an Incomplete
A request for an incomplete must be made in writing during the seventh or eighth week of the SPS eight week term. Incompletes requested during weeks one through six of a term will be denied administratively. Instead, these students should be encouraged to withdraw from the course. The below table outlines the tuition refund percentage for student withdrawal effective Summer 2014.
|Week||Tuition Refund %||Letter Awarded|
1. The student must hold a passing grade (defined as a "C" or better) for all coursework at the sixth week of the term.
2. Proof of extenuating circumstances must be provided. These circumstances must fall under the definition of "extenuating circumstances" as defined by SPS. These circumstances could be defined as: a major, unforeseen life event (e.g., death, prolonged debilitating illness, sudden major change in job status) that occurred within the student's life that would reasonably be expected to have a significant impact on the student's ability to complete remaining course requirements on time and at a level sufficient to pass the course." All Incompletes, regardless of circumstance, are subject to the discretion of the department chair; students feeling that they have extenuating circumstances deserving of an "incomplete" should consult their advisor.
Process for Awarding an Incomplete During Weeks 7 & 8:
1. Student contacts the Instructor, explains the circumstances, and requests an incomplete. A detailed email outlining the circumstances must be sent to the Instructor.
2. The Instructor contacts the Program Director, discusses the circumstances, and determines if the circumstances merit an incomplete. The detailed email outlining the circumstances must be sent to the Program Director. The mark of incomplete is given at the discretion of the Instructor in consultation with the Program Director. However, the student must meet both criteria for an Incomplete to be considered.
3. If the Instructor in consultation with the Program Director agrees to award an incomplete, Petition for Course Extension Form" located on the University Registrar web site must be completed and submitted.
An Incomplete Course will be awarded a grade of "F", by the Office of the University Registrar, if the course is not completed by the approved deadline.