- Majors & Programs
- Bachelor's Degree Programs
- Core Curriculum
- B.S. in Security and Strategic Intelligence
- B.A. in Education / Teacher Certification Programs
- B.A. in Education
- Teacher Certification
- Alternative Certification
- Alternative Certification: Elementary Education
- Alternative Certification: Middle School & Secondary Education
- Alternative Certification: Special Education
- Renaissance Programs Overview
- Teacher Certification Program Requirements
- Education / Teacher Certification Careers
- B.A. in General Studies
- B.A. in Organizational Studies
- B.S. in Aviation Management
- B.S. in Computer Information Systems
- B.S. in Nursing - RN to BSN
- B.S. in Organizational Leadership and Technology
- B.S. in Social Work
- Contract Degree Option
- Minor & Certificate Programs
- Master's Degree Programs
- Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Programs
Alternative Certification: Middle School (grades 5-9) & Secondary Education (grades 9-12)
The Renaissance Alternative Educator Preparation Program
The Alternative Certification for Middle School and Secondary Education option is for teachers who have a bachelor's degree and a full-time teaching contract with a Missouri public school or an accredited nonpublic school. The full-time teaching contract must be in the area that is being pursued.
If you do not have a bachelor's degree, please see our B.A. in Middle School Education. If you have a bachelor's degree but not a full-time teaching contract with a Missouri public school or an accredited nonpublic school, please see our Teacher Certification for Middle School Education.
Areas of certification for middle school education include Language Arts, Mathematics, Science and Social Science. Areas of certification for secondary education include Language Arts, Mathematics and Social Science.
Students seeking this option can complete their Missouri teacher certification with 32 credit hours or less depending on transfer credits and prerequisites needed. An individual plan will be created for each student upon admission into the program.
Admission and program exit requirements for middle school and secondary education certification are listed in the Alternative Certification section of the Teacher Certification Program Requirements page.
|Register today for an upcoming online Information Fair to learn more about our programs.||If you'd like more information about the best and most flexible adult degree completion programs in St. Louis, fill out our information request form to contact our dedicated admissions office.||New terms begin every few weeks. If you're ready to get started, apply now and you'll be on your way.|
|Connect with SLU SPS!|