Core Curriculum for SPS
The Core Curriculum is a required component for most degrees in the School for Professional Studies. Exceptions include Education, Aviation, Nursing and Social Work, which have preset cores.
Associate's to Bachelor's Program
A balanced associate in arts (AA) or associate in science (AS) degree may be accepted in lieu of SPS's core requirements, with the exception of the Moral and Ethical Development courses. If you've obtained an associate's degree, learn more about our associate's to bachelor's program.
The core offers an integrated selection of courses that:
- Provide students with opportunities to master communication skills in writing, speaking and interpersonal relations;
- Expose students to a broad liberal arts based education through different disciplines and a variety of methods for acquiring knowledge;
- Afford students opportunities to acquire the practical knowledge and the theoretical framework required for competent performance in the changing workplace;
- Expose students to application of workplace technology which is integrated throughout the core curriculum;
- Develop a broad understanding of the ethical and moral principles that reflect the Christian values of the Jesuit tradition and the institutional contexts in which they must be practiced;
- Educate the whole person in habits of critical thinking, leadership, respect for cultural diversity, services to others and lifelong learning