Business Transactional Law
The Business Transactional Law concentration offers students the opportunity to concentrate their studies on the legal and practical issues that arise in business-oriented, transactional practice of law. Basic courses in Business Associations and Federal Taxation underlie any advanced study of business transactions and are pre-requisites for the concentration. Real Estate Transactions is recommended but not required for the concentration.
Students must complete a minimum of 12 elective hours of advanced taxation and business courses. With advanced planning, full time students should be able to complete the concentration requirements without additional time or credit hours beyond what is required for the JD program. Part-time students may also be able to earn the concentration with advanced planning but may need the ability to take an occasional course offered before 6pm.
The Faculty Advisor for the Business Transactional Concentration is Henry Ordower.
1. Advanced Taxation Courses (between 3 and 8 credit hours) such as:
- Corporate Tax
- International Taxation
- Partnership Tax
- Seminars in Taxation
Fiduciary Tax, Estate Planning and Income Tax of Trusts & Estates do not satisfy this requirement.
2. Advanced Business Courses & Capstone-Skills Integration Course (between 4 and 9 credit hours of the 12 total required hours)
The remainder of the 12-hour concentration requirement (between 4 and 9 credit hours) must consist of course work in transactionally oriented business law courses, negotiations skills courses or appropriate seminars. One course that integrates transactional drafting skills will serve as the Capstone. Courses which fulfill this requirement include, but are not limited to:
- Advanced Commercial Business Transactions*
- Advanced Real Estate Transactions**
- Biotechnology Law and Policy
- Consumer Credit Transactions
- Corporate Finance*
- Health Care Finance and Business Planning**
- International Sales
- International Trade Law
- Securities Regulation
- Seminars emphasizing negotiation skills (as offered from time to time and approved by the advisor)
- Transactional Health Care Practice*
- Corporate Counsel Practicum*
- Selected externship placements**
*Denotes courses that are approved Capstone courses.
** Denotes courses that may count as a Capstone course in certain semesters but must be specifically approved by Henry Ordower.