Inappropriate Interview Questions
If you believe that an interviewer asked inappropriate questions not related to your ability to do the job in your interview, please notify the Career Services Office. Your concerns will remain confidential. The Career Services Office wants to ensure that the interview process complies with state and federal law and law school policy, but we must be made aware of issues in order to address them with employers.
Saint Louis University School of Law has a policy of Equal Opportunity that we ask all employers interviewing on campus to sign. An exception to this policy exists for military recruiters in response to the Solomon Amendment. This exception does not represent a change in the equal opportunity policies of the School of Law or the Association of American Law Schools.
Certain questions related to race, color, gender, age, economic status, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status should not be asked by an employer and used as a basis for making a hiring decision.
Some examples of these questions are:
- What is your national origin?
- How old are you?
- When is your birthday?
- In what year were you born?
- In what year did you graduate from college/high school?
- Are you married?
- Do you have a permanent partner?
- With whom do you live?
- How many children do you have?
- Are you pregnant?
- Do you expect to have a family?
- What are your child care arrangements?
- How tall are you?; How much do you weigh?(Questions about height and weight are always illegal unless it can be proven that there are minimum requirements to do the job.)
- Do you have any disabilities?
- Have you had any recent illness or operations?
- Please complete this medical questionnaire.
- What was the date of your last physical exam?
- How's your family's health?
- When did you lose your eyesight/ leg/ hearing/ etc.?
- Where were you/your parents born?
- What is your native language?
- What is your country of citizenship?
- Are you a US citizen? (Unless it is a requirement for the job.)
- What clubs or social organizations do you belong to?
- Do you go to church?