Library Kiosks and Public Computers
The law school provides access to several public-use computers, available during regular library hours. A local account on each computer has been created to allow non-SLU "public patrons" the ability to use them without having a SLUNet ID and password. This account is cleaned nightly, for security reasons. Please be sure to read the information below regarding saving data while using library computers.
Six of the Public PCs are located on the first floor of the library, at the bottom of the central staircase. One additional Public PC is located just outside faculty office #161.
These computers are equipped with the following software:
• Microsoft Office 2007
• Mozilla Firefox/Internet Explorer 8
• Adobe Reader X
• Law School "Billiken Printers"
• LexisNexis CaseMap
Important InformationQ: What happens to my files?
When you logout of any public-use computers in the Law Library, the local account and any changes you have made are deleted. Any files saved to the Desktop, "My Documents," or any other local folder, along with any bookmarks or preferences you may have created, WILL BE ERASED. If you need to save a document, please save it to a USB flash drive, or email it to yourself. (See how to do this below)
Q: Where/how should I save my files?
Method 1: Attach to your email: (recommended only if you have a small number of files)
- Save the file to the computer's desktop.
- Login to your personal email account. (The following steps may vary, depending on your chosen email account).
- Compose a new message.
- Click on the "Attach" button.
- Browse to the file you wish to attach, and click OK. Repeat steps 4 & 5 for any additional files you would like to save.
- Put in your email address into the Send field, and click "Send."
Now you have emailed the file(s) to yourself - you will be able to access that file from any computer with access to the Internet.
Method 2: Save to a flash drive: (recommended if you have a lot of files, or file folders)
- Highlight the file, files or folders that you would like to save to the flash drive. You can highlight multiple files by holding down the Ctrl key while clicking on the files.
- Right-click on the file you've highlighted, and select "Copy." For multiple files, right-click on any ONE of the highlighted files.
- Insert your flash drive into the USB port on the front of the computer. If a message pops up asking what you would like to do, choose "Open folder to view files" and skip to step 5. If a blank window opens or nothing happens, proceed to step 4.
- Go to "My Computer" from the desktop, and double-click on the flash drive's icon.
- In the flash drive window, right-click anywhere in the blank space, and choose "Paste." The file(s) will begin copying.
- Once the copy process is complete, you may safely remove the flash drive.