Evan Paul Carey, M.S.
Center for Health Outcomes Research
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D). (Expected) Fall 2017 University of Colorado. Dissertation: "The Burden of Chronic Pain in the Veteran's Health Administration: Trends of incidence and prevalence over time, variation in multi-modal pain care, and associated outcomes."
- Masters of Science in Applied Biostatistics (M.S.). 2012 University of Colorado. Thesis: "Urban/rural designation, distance to cardiac catheterization centers and elective angiography in the VA health care system"
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology. 2009 Arizona State University.
Publications and Media Placements
- Carey, E. P., Frank, J. W., Kerns, R. D., Ho, P. M. & Kirsh, S. R. Implementation of telementoring for pain management in Veterans Health Administration: Spatial analysis. Journal of Rehabilitation Research and Development 53, (2016).
- Lum HD, Carey EP, Fairclough D, Plomondon ME, Hutt E, Rumsfeld JS, Bekelman DB. Burdensome Physical and Depressive Symptoms Predict Heart Failure-Specific Health Status Over One Year. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2016 Feb 24. pii: S0885-3924(16)00069-5. doi: 10.1016/j.jpainsymman.2015.12.328. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26921492
- Marzec LN, Carey EP, Lambert-Kerzner AC, Del Giacco EJ, Melnyk SD, Bryson CL, et al. Cognitive dysfunction and poor health literacy are common in veterans presenting with acute coronary syndrome: insights from the MEDICATION study. Patient Prefer Adherence. 2015;9:745–51.
- Kirsh, S., Carey, E., Aron, D. C., Cardenas, O., Graham, G., Jain, R., ... Ho, P. M. (2015). Impact of a national specialty e-consultation implementation project on access. The American Journal of Managed Care, 21(12), e648–654.
- Shore, S., Ho, P. M., Lambert-Kerzner, A., Glorioso, T. J., Carey, E. P., Cunningham, F., ... Turakhia, M. P. (2015). Site-level variation in and practices associated with dabigatran adherence. JAMA, 313(14), 1443–1450. http://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2015.2761
- Frank JW, Carey EP, Fagan KM, et al. Evaluation of a Telementoring Intervention for Pain Management in the Veterans Health Administration. Pain Med. February 2015. doi:10.1111/pme.12715.
- Bekelman, D. B., Plomondon, M. E., Carey, E. P., Sullivan, M. D., Nelson, K. M., Hattler, B., ... Rumsfeld, J. S. (2015). Primary Results of the Patient-Centered Disease Management (PCDM) for Heart Failure Study: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Internal Medicine, 175(5), 725–732. http://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.0315
- Shore S, Carey EP, Turakhia MP, et al. Adherence to dabigatran therapy and longitudinal patient outcomes: insights from the veterans health administration. Am Heart J. 2014;167(6):810-817. doi:10.1016/j.ahj.2014.03.023.
- Armstrong EJ, Maddox TM, Carey EP, Grunwald GK, Shunk KA. Mortality after presentation with stent thrombosis is associated with time from index percutaneous coronary intervention: a report from the VA CART program. Am Heart J. 2014;168(4):560-567. doi:10.1016/j.ahj.2014.07.020.
- Yeo KK, Maddox TM, Carey E, Low RI, Shunk KA. Right- and left-sided heart catheterization as a quality marker for catheterization laboratories (from the national Veterans Affairs clinical assessment reporting and tracking program). Am J Cardiol. 2014;114(11):1758-1762. doi:10.1016/j.amjcard.2014.08.047.
- Ho PM, Lambert-Kerzner A, Carey EP, et al. Multifaceted intervention to improve medication adherence and secondary prevention measures after acute coronary syndrome hospital discharge: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2014;174(2):186-193. doi:10.1001/jamainternmed.2013.12944.
- Bradley SM, Carey EP, Michael Ho P. US growth in PCI care--less than ideal, but is the ideal less? J Am Heart Assoc. 2013;2(6):e000552. doi:10.1161/JAHA.113.000552.
- Lambert-Kerzner, A., Del Giacco EJ, Fahdi IE, Bryson CL, Melnyk SD, Bosworth HB, Davis R, Mun H, Weaver J, Barnett C, Radcliff T, Hubbard A, Bosket KD, Carey E, Virchow A, Mihalko-Corbitt R, Kaufman A, Marchant-Miros K, Ho PM . Patient-centered adherence intervention after acute coronary syndrome hospitalization. Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 5, 571–576 (2012).
- 2017 Workshop Presenter –"Implementing High Value Spatial Analytics in the Context of VA Data", VA Health Services Research and Development National Meeting Arlington, VA
- 2016 Invited Presenter - "The Cost of Chronic Pain in a Veteran Population: Temporal Trends, Site Variation, and Veteran Traits", American Statistical Association Spring Meeting, Boulder, CO
- 2016 Invited Presenter – "CBO-Purchased Care Contractor Data and Its Use in Research", Veterans Health Administration National Cyberseminar
- 2016 Invited Presenter – "Evaluation of a National VA Chronic Pain Cohort: Defining Chronic Pain in Administrative Data", Veterans Health Administration National Cyberseminar
- 2016 Invited Presenter - "Veterans Experiencing Chronic Pain: Identification, Access to Outpatient Care Treatment Patterns, and Outcomes". Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, Colorado
- 2016 Invited presenter – "National Variation in Chronic Pain Care and Targeted Telementoring Training for Primary Care Providers", American Academy of Pain Medicine Annual Meeting, Palm Springs, California
- 2016 Lecturer – "Random Effects in Time to Event Models", Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, Colorado
- 2016 Invited Presenter – "My results are biased? I didn't see that coming...(Understanding and addressing missing data in clinical research)", Society of Clinical Research Associates, Texas Tech University, Lubbock Texas
- 2015 Invited presenter – "Veterans and the Cost of Chronic Pain: Time, Site Variation, and Veteran Traits", Pain Research, Informatics, Multi-morbidities, and Education Center (PRIME), West Haven, CT 2015 Invited Presenter – "Spatial Evaluation of the Implementation of the Veterans Choice Program", Veterans Health Administration National Cyberseminar
- 2015 Invited Presenter – "Evaluating Implementation of the Veterans Choice Act: Findings from Geospatial and Qualitative Analyses", Veterans Health Administration National Cyberseminar
- 2015 Invited presenter – "Examining the Evidence: How Strong is this Study?", Society of Clinical Research Associates, Texas Tech University, Lubbock Texas
- 2015 Lecturer – "Trend Analysis and Small Area Analysis", Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, Colorado
- 2015 Lecturer – "Geospatial Analysis in Administrative Data", Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, Colorado
- 2015 Invited presenter – "Data Science, Statisticians, and Industry", Department of Biostatistics and Informatics, Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, Colorado
- 2015 Invited presenter – "Geospatial Analysis in the VA", Colorado Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Consortium, Aurora, Colorado 2014 Lecturer – "Random Effects in Time to Event Models", Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, Colorado
- 2013 Oral Abstract – "Exploring Site Level Variation in Radiation Exposure in the VA: Insights from CART", American Heart Association Annual Meeting, Dallas, Texas
- 2013 Oral Abstract – "The Association between Patient Rural Status, Distance to Cath Lab, and Likelihood to Undergo Coronary Angiography: Insights from the VA CART Program", American Heart Association, Quality of Care and Outcomes Research Scientific Sessions, Baltimore, MD
Honors and Awards
- 2015-2016 Hammond-Hoffman Scholarship in Epidemiology (University of Colorado)
- 2015 Dissertation Workshop and Student Travel Award, Society for Epidemiologic Research
- 2015 Student Travel Award, International Conference on Health Policy Statistics, Am Stat Ass
- 2008-2009 Dean's Academic List, ASU
Professional Organizations and Associations
- 2015-2017 American Statistical Association, Student Member
- 2015-2016 Academy Health, Student Member
- 2015-2017 Society for Epidemiologic Research, Student Member
- 2011 Student Representative, Colorado School of Public Health Dean Search Committee