The National Health Service Corps (NHSC) Loan Forgiveness Program
The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act provides $300 million to support the National Health Service Corps (NHSC). Approximately $200 million will enable the NHSC Loan Repayment Program to assist more than 3,300 clinicians who are seeking opportunities to serve in our Nation’s health professional shortage areas.
The unique group of dedicated physicians who provide full-time clinical services in a qualifying high-need area where health care is scarce may be eligible to participate in the NHSC Loan Repayment Program. This program provides these dedicated physicians with up to $50,000 to be paid toward their educational loans in exchange for a two-year service commitment. Physicians who stay longer than the initial two-years may be eligible to apply for additional years of support.
NHSC primary care health professions include:
- Physician (Allopathic or Osteopathic)
General Internal Medicine
- General Psychiatry
Other primary care health professions include:
- Primary Care Nurse Practitioner
- Primary Care Physician Assistant
- Certified Nurse-Midwife
- Dental Hygienist
- Mental or Behavioral Health Professional
The expanded NHSC program provides the following new features:
More Application Flexibility-- First time Primary Care Clinicians do not need to be employed at service site at the time of application.
First-come, First-served-- Applications will be accepted on an open, continuous basis until all Recovery Act funds are expended -- 15 months or sooner
- More Choice of Sites and Vacancies Eligible for Loan Repayment-- More sites are being approved by the NHSC every day. See Current NHSC Vacancies at: www.nhscjobs.hrsa.gov
- More Efficient Application Process--Most applications will be processed within 8 weeks of receipt of a completed application.