Saint Louis University

Student Health Medical FAQ

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about the services provided by Student Health.

If you have a question that is not answered below, please don't hesitate to contact us

1. Do I need health insurance?
Yes. It is mandatory for all full-time students on campus to have health insurance. A request must be completed online through Aetna Student Health during open enrollment periods to either enroll in or waive out of the University Health Plan.  If no action is taken the student will be automatically enrolled in the University Health Plan

2. If I see the doctor, is the visit free?
The Student Health Center is a regular fee for service physician’s office. The Center bills the student’s primary insurance company. Our fees are based on usual and customary fees in the St. Louis area. Co-payments are due at the time of service. Billing questions can be answered by calling 977-5050.

3. Do you take my insurance?
We bill all insurance companies. However, call your benefits plan coordinator to see if they will cover our physician services. Please see this information of insurance companies who have contracted with SLUCare, as well as more tips for  making sure your coverage is set up to cover you when you need it.  If not, some students select the university health plan. The balance your insurance does not cover, you are responsible to pay. If payment is not received within 120 days from the date of service a hold will be placed on your registration.

4. How do I get the university health plan insurance coverage?
Saint Louis University offers health insurance to SLU students for general care, emergency care, hospitalization, visits to specialists, prescription medication and other services. More information about University Health Plan can be found on their website.

5. Are my immunizations up to date?
Saint Louis University requires students to provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and tetanus, as well as a screening for tuberculosis. A meningitis vaccination is required for all freshmen living in the residence halls or waiver is to be signed. Visit Immunizations on our website to learn more.

6. How do I know if Student Health Services received my immunization records?
The staff at the Student Health Center enter immunization records into banner after reviewing them. We can search the database to check if your records have been entered if you provide us with the student’s Banner ID.

7. Can I get a copy of my medical records?
Yes. Students who wish to receive a copy of their medical records must complete a release of confidential information form found here. Please read the release closely. The Student Health Center adheres to all HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act) regulations.

8. Can I see the physician today?
For your convenience staff physicians are available to see students on an appointment basis Monday – Friday 9 am – 5 pm. However, if there is an urgent situation we strongly encourage the student to walk in Student Health and speak to a nurse.

9. Is the physician affiliated with Saint Louis University?
Yes. All of the physicians are faculty members of Saint Louis University School of Medicine. Nancy Z. Delaney, M.D., our primary care physician, is board certified in Internal Medicine. The Sports Medicine physician is here five days a week. Additional specialties, Gynecology, Orthopedics, Psychiatry, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Dietetics are available weekly.

10. Where can I get information about STDs/alcohol/drugs/quitting smoking/nutrition/stress?
There are a number of ways to obtain the information you want on a variety of health topics. Take a moment to look through the free brochures available in the Student Health Center. Ask a nurse either by phone or email, look on our website or come to the Health Center.

11. Do you perform STD checks?
Yes. The Student Health Center can check for all STD’s per physician order.

12. Can I have my prescription filled at the Student Health Center?
Student Health does not have an outpatient pharmacy. However, for your convenience, the Student Health Center carries some commonly prescribed medications and makes them available to students at a discounted price if ordered by a physician. If Student Health does not stock the medication prescribed for you, Walgreens can fill your prescription and it will be delivered to the Center for convenient pick up. 

13. Do I need a Meningitis immunization?
The meningitis vaccine is required for all freshmen living in residence halls or a waiver is to be signed acknowledging that the risks and benefits of the vaccine have been understood. It is best to discuss this with your primary care physician. The Student Health Center can give the immunization if you choose to receive it. The cost for the immunization is $280.00.

14. Does the Student Health Center provide wellness exams for women?
Yes. It is recommended that all women 18 years of age or older have a gynecological exam yearly. The exam includes: a pelvic exam, Pap smear test, and a breast exam. A SLUCare gynecologist will perform the examination. An appointment is necessary.

15. Does the Student Health Center provide the Gardasil vaccine for the prevention of cervical cancer?
Yes, we do provide the Gardasil vaccine series. The cost is $230.00 per injection. Insurance is billed.

16. Does the Student Health Center provide the Flu vaccine?
Yes. Every school year between October and December Flu injections are given.

17. What tests can be performed at the Student Health Center?
A number of tests can be performed at the Center including:

  • x rays
  • strep test
  • pregnancy test
  • blood drawn lab tests are sent out
  • urinalysis
  • Any special tests (cultures) or blood work ordered by a physician is obtained at the center and sent to Quest Laboratories. You will receive a bill directly from the Quest Laboratories for these services.

18. Are my test results in yet?
Results from lab tests are usually available in one to three days, although some tests, such as Pap smears can take up to two weeks to process. You will be notified of your test results by telephone from a health professional.

19. Can I get a prescription for oral contraceptives at the Student Health Center?
In keeping with the Jesuit Catholic beliefs regarding family planning that are espoused by Saint Louis University, the Student Health Center does not provide oral contraceptives or other devices for the purpose of preventing pregnancy. Anti-ovulatory medications are prescribed only for medical reasons other than birth control.

20. I am from out of state. How do I get my monthly medications refilled?
Make an appointment with the physician in the Student Health Center and she will in turn rewrite the prescription for you to fill at the pharmacy of your choice.

21. How do I know my child is taking their medication?
The student is contacted by a registered nurse within 48 hours after their appointment. We inquire about their health, and if they are taking their medication. If a parent calls inquiring if their child is taking their medication, a release of information form needs to be signed by the student prior to speaking to a parent.

22. How do I get information on my sick student?
In an emergency parents of a student will be called immediately by the emergency room physician or university officials. Otherwise, the student needs to have signed a release of information form for the staff at Student Health to release information about them to anyone, including parents.

23. Can I receive my allergy injections at Student Health?
Yes. A private allergist must provide serum and treatment plan. An appointment is necessary, and a physician must be present. This service is available Monday – Friday 9am – 4:30 pm

24. What do I do after hours and on weekends if I am sick?
If you are ill, call 977-2323 24 hours a day, and you will be in contact with the nurse on call to help determine a plan of action. If you are experiencing a life threatening emergency call 911. We use the services of Saint Louis University Hospital emergency room.

25. Do my parents need to know that I have used the services of the Student Health Center?
No. Missouri law states that individuals age 18 and older are legal adults. Therefore, if the student wishes for anyone to learn of their use of medical or mental health services, they would need to sign a release of confidential information form.

Higher purpose. Greater good.
© 1818 - 2016  SAINT LOUIS UNIVERSITY   |   Disclaimer   |  Mobile Site
St. Louis   |   Madrid