- First-Year Experience
- Common SLU Terms
- Fall Welcome
- Fall Welcome Schedule
- Freshman Residential Information
- Freshman Commuter Information
- Transfer Student Information
- Parent & Family Information
- Fall Welcome FAQs
- SLU Contact Information
- New Student Convocation & Family Welcome
- Convocation Student Speaker Application
- First-Year Experience
- First-Year Experience Checklist
- First-Year Experience Leadership Positions
- First Generation College Students
- First-Year Summer Reading
- Freshman Commuters
- SLU 101 Summer Orientation
- SLU Spirit Shirt Tradition
- University 101
- Winter Welcome
Convocation Student Speaker Application
Saint Louis University will host its annual New Student Convocation & Family Welcome during Fall Welcome on Friday, August 19, 2016. The ceremony will feature one full-time undergraduate student speaker as well as distinguished faculty and administration. The Convocation student speaker will be chosen by a selection committee based on the student's experience while a student at Saint Louis University and proposed message to incoming students and their families.
The speech should capture the undergraduate experience for students at Saint Louis University. To be considered, students must submit a draft of their 2-3 minute speech in writing (approximately 500-600 words). Students might reflect on the following questions before writing their speech:
- What have you gained from your time at SLU?
- How will your experience at SLU impact your future?
- What advice would you give students for their first-year at SLU?
- What makes SLU, a Catholic, Jesuit university, distinctive from other schools?
- What does being a Billiken mean?
- What does it mean to be a member of the SLU community?
Applications will be reviewed based on the following criteria:
- Well-roundedness of student experience and involvement on and off campus
- Content and organization of speech
- Appropriateness for New Student Convocation & Family Welcome
- Ability to stay within time limit
Students applying for this honor must have a current cumulative GPA of 3.0 at the time of application, be in good standing with the Office of Student Responsibility & Community Standards, and be on campus the week before classes start in the fall, beginning Monday, August 15, 2016 for final preparations in advance of Convocation. Finalists will be asked to present their speeches in person in mid-April for final selection of the Convocation speaker. The selected speaker will then work with university staff to refine their speech prior to Convocation.
Applications are available online at Groups (groups.sluconnection.com) and ask for the following:
- Applicant name, major, year at SLU, and current cumulative GPA
- Applicant email address and phone number
- Resume including list of involvements on campus and in the community
- Draft of 2-3 minute speech in writing (approximately 500-600 words)
Applications will go live in March
With questions, please contact Jordan Glaser in the Student Involvement Center at email@example.com.